Tuesday, March 24, 2015

First Day of Spring

We made it!  We officially made it through winter, and now it's spring.  Never mind that the weather turned cold and sleety yesterday.  IT'S TOO LATE, WINTER!  YOU'RE TOO LATE!  GO AWAY!

The official first day of spring was balmy and bright, just the perfect day for rediscovering the park and swinging high into the air.  I didn't want to swing the kids.  I wanted to sit in the car and listen to NPR, so I told them that the monsters are in the woods, so they had to stay on the playground so the monsters wouldn't get them.  I have too many memories of lost Aracelis and Freestones, exploring those woods.  I'm lazier now.  Ptolemy jumped in on the monster idea with, "Yeah!  But there's an invisible force field around the playground and the monsters can't get in!"  Sure, kid.  Yeah, that's right.  Stay inside the force field.

I should have told them that the swings were outside the force field.  After seeing their joyful faces as they cried, "Higher!  Higher!" I was glad I made the effort, minuscule as it was, to push them on the swings.  It turned out to be much more soul-quenching than sitting in the car.  Lesson learned...again.





Nana seems to have gotten spring fever, too and had her hair done.  A beautician comes every Friday and does hair at the salon they have in the assisted living.  Nana finally took the plunge, after seeing how nice all her friends looked each Friday.  Isn't it cute!  She has also agreed to go on a few drives with me, to pick up kids or make a scenic loop.  She's always glad to get back home, though.
And now that my hometown is turning colors and singing new life, I think I'm happy to be home, too.

2 comments:

The homestead said...

Love the picture of Nana. She looks beautiful with her hair done. I hope she'll get it done every Friday.

laurel said...

I am a fan of the threat, scare your kids too. Works well until you get a kid that has no fear. My number 3.

Love your kids. You guys always have the funniest conversations ever.