Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Golda, Then and Now



I don't know why this was in my drafts, but here it is, a post I wrote about Golda two years ago, when she was a sophomore.  She has always been such a hard worker, it's a huge relief to see her ease up a bit her senior year.  Lest we forget how wonderful it is that she was able to hang out at Coco and Bill's last night after ballet, for two hours on a school night (!), let's take a look back at her sophomore year, when she was putting in all the work to gain the results she's enjoying now...

I hate to tell you this, but I'm about to give another shout-out to Golda.  She has been working like a dog who was born in a library, studying for the AP World Civ. test, but in between all the study sessions, she still has to go on with life.

Last week, she tried out for Wind Ensemble, the elite band at Davis High.  The audition piece was stupidly difficult, as in: the only reason the piece existed was to be difficult for an audition.  Purposely, it had no melody, accidentals on every note and the most complicated rhythms you could dream up.  Golda's teacher told her, "A lot of people will go into the audition thinking it's 'good enough.'  Not you.  You'll know it so well, it will be perfect."  Well, that didn't turn out to be true, but it was an eye-opener to think that way instead of the "good enough" approach.  Anyway, Golda made it!  She wasn't sure she even wanted to make it (still the love-hate relationship with flute), but when she called to tell me, I knew by her happy, breathless voice that she was excited.

This week it was Dance Company auditions.  Golda has been under so much self-imposed pressure from the AP test, she didn't even want to try out.  It was one of those times Scott and I put our foot down.  We told her she had to.  Mean, huh?  It's just that she tried out last year and didn't make it, and it was crushing.  The whole experience was wrought with frustration.  I just didn't want the defeat to defeat her for good, and I knew she would regret it if she didn't try.  Of course, there's always the chance you'll fail again and be embarrassed and disappointed, but you can't let that fear make the decision for you.

After two days of clinics and late-night practicing at the ballet studio, Golda's shoulders were bruised from a roll in the choreography, and every muscle in her body ached.  When I dropped her off at the audition, I prayed that she would feel good about her effort.  She did.  Even better, she made it!  Sometimes in life, your name is on that list, and sometimes it's not.  When it is, it's a sweet, sweet feeling.  Either way, these things are intense.

Golda went off with her friend to celebrate, and I got a text:  "Thanks for making me try out.  You're the best."  Now I don't need anything for Mothers Day.  Thanks, Golda.  And congratulations!  I know how hard you've worked.  Now, you just have one little old test to pass.  And if you don't?  Who cares!?  Two out of three ain't bad.

She did pass the test, and another one the next year, and she's studying for three more now.  It's easier though, as the learning curve has flattened out with experience.  I'm proud of Golda for setting the bar so high for herself and the siblings that follow.  More importantly, she sets the bar high spiritually, continually refocusing our family on the things that really matter.  I don't know how she keeps that persepctive in such clear focus, but Golda is a light, and we're so blessed to have her as ours.

No comments: