Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Utah Classic


 Shortly after returning from the scampout, Freestone traded one packed bag for another and we all piled in the car for the Utah Classic, Freestone's ballroom dance competition.  Apparently I have to be converted to everything my kids do, because I went into this somewhat begrudgingly, too.  I am not a competition mom, but do tend to get caught up in whatever my kids are passionate about, so ballroom competitions it is!
 Freestone's first dance was the swing.  Super cute!  His team won the "High Points" award, meaning first place, and the team went home with a two-foot-tall trophy.  I swear, these competitions are a racket designed by trophy companies.  We all pay entrance fees, which go to buy trophies, which we take home.
 Oh look, there are all the trophies for all the day's events.
We started out with this cheering section, but after Freestone's first event, there was a three-hour wait for the next one, and the kids had colds.  Scott took them home and Freestone and I stayed in Smithfield without a ride home.  That's the closest I'm getting to adventure in this bleak midwinter!  I posted a plea for a ride on Davis County Ballroom's facebook page and a new neighbor of mine approached me to offer a ride for us.  We had a great time getting to know each other on the way home, after stopping for cookies and Diet Coke for the hour-long drive.  But first...the tango.
I'm still unclear on why the kids have to be so tan for these performances!

Freestone and his tango partner
The tango, set to Sweet Dreams, was really good.  It took the high points trophy too!  They just barely beat out their teammates from Davis County Ballroom, who did a Wizard of Oz number, and beat Sweet Dreams at the last competition.
This is Freestone's friend Bransen, whom we carpool with.  His mom Jacy took Freestone to the last competition, when we were in Hawaii.  I owe her bigtime for doing all the hair, makeup, costuming and driving that day!
Freestone is serious about this ballroom thing.  He is on a team at school, too.  The kid has 7 dance classes a week.  He tried to explain to me why he likes it so much, and all he could come up with was, "Just...the dancing."  Hey, at least he'll know some girls when he hits dating age, and he won't be scared to ask them to dance, either!  

1 comment:

Jennie said...

It was fun to catch up and read through all the entries we missed while we were out of town. Can't wait to hear more details about the summer plans.