Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Nana's Adventures



Nine out of ten times when I ask Nana if she wants to get out, she says no.  Or sometimes "No way!"  But she was feeling adventurous last week and took me up on my offer a couple of times.  Friday afternoon, Freestone and I took her to Fiiz, the local version of the soda shop.  It was crowded with tweens, and Nana got a kick out of people watching while she sipped her "Pink Poodle" and looked at pictures on Freestone's Instagram.
 Then Saturday, she opted to come over to my house for awhile.  Nana is a good sport, marveling at the beauty around her and telling the kids she loves them.  But she gets anxious to go home, too.  She was ready when my mom came to get her.

Last night, I stopped in at 5:45, just as Nana and her friends were finishing dinner.  We retired to her room, where she kept saying, "I can go to bed anytime I want to.  I can get in that nice, comfy bed right now if I want to."  I didn't stay long; Nana seemed to really want to climb into bed!  I don't blame her.  I can't imagine having any energy left at 98.

Back when Nana started requiring a lot more care, I decided that was what I was going to focus on.  I just wanted to be available for my mom when she needed help with Nana, along with a bunch of my cousins, who kept tabs on her and did her grocery shopping and home repairs.  I miss going to Bountiful now, but it sure is nice to have Nana safe and close by, with surroundings that stimulate her mind more so than her quiet, lonely house where worries would consume her days.

Even though Nana is the one who requires all the care, we are the ones who learn all the lessons.  I've grown closer to a lot of my cousins this year.  I just saw Marilyn the other day at Nana's.  Sometimes I text my far away cousins to ask them questions so I can tell Nana some interesting things while we're visiting.  They always tell me to let Nana know they love her.  It's comforting to be part of such a loving and supportive family, and it's fun, too.  I love my cousins and my aunts and uncles, and I love Nana for bringing me closer to them.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I love that she had he Pink Poodle. That is as delightful as she is, especially in that picture. Your outings remind me of those few years I was able to spend with my grandma and caring for her when she was on dialysis. Time is so short and I'm happy for you that you enjoy each and every moment and opportunity to interact.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I love the posts about Nana! Thanks for visiting her so much and keeping us updated:) I love her pink fingernails!