Thursday, April 30, 2015

Springville


My sister-in-law Emily King had two pieces accepted into the Springville Spring Salon.  It's a big honor, and of course we had to see the show.  A weekend getaway to Fillmore, Utah, was the perfect opportunity.

Esmae knows her way around the museum inside and out, so she took Xanthe exploring while the rest of us perused the art.
Can you tell who the models were for this piece?!  It's called "Intertwined," and it got Honorable Mention.  I am so impressed by and proud of Emily.  She is talented and works hard to bring her vision to fruition.


Next stop along our Utah journey was the Territorial Statehouse in Fillmore, Utah's territorial capital.  The reason for the trip was that my cousin Samantha restored an old pioneer home in Fillmore, and we were invited to stay there.  I took Araceli because Samantha said there was a ghost in the home, and Araceli loves ghosts.  I took Xanthe because she has been dying to get her county report done, and this was the perfect county trip.  I took Esmae because it was more fun with her along!  And we took Coco and Bill for the same reason.  We thought we'd just go into the museum and grab a few pamphlets, but it's too interesting.
Nana's grandmother
Nana's grandfather
Nana's great-grandmother?  I need help here, Uncle Paul!
Nana's grandfather and his brothers.
My dad was named after an uncle, I think.  I knew the Kings had settled in Fillmore, but I didn't know the Felshaws were there too.
This picture was on the floor!  The outrage!

Dad's ancestor way back, and uncle, I think.
Dad's great grandparents, Matilda and Thomas Rice, who was adopted into the King family when the Rice parents died.  I'm probably getting all the details wrong.  But these are the people who were sent by Brigham Young to Kingston to settle a town there.  As if Fillmore wasn't remote enough!
Read this account of King Kanosh, a native American convert to the LDS church.  His wives had terrible lives!
The girls in jail.
DeBrys, who is this?
See why it took more than 5 minutes to go through the museum?  Even though we have been here before, it's still so compelling to stare into the faces of our progenitors' portraits.
printing press
Guest room for visiting dignitaries.
and then Dad asked about an ancestor, and this happened.
We had never seen this photo of Katherine McBride King, probably a bridal photo taken on North Temple in Salt Lake
Other King rellies.  Zoom in to see the names.



Dad, here is the website where you can see all these photos...if you can type that many characters.  What the heck!?
My dad saving worms.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I used to live in Fillmore! Wow, those Kanosh wives ...

Jennie said...

You're right. There lives were terrible. What a choice, starve or die by horse. It's like a real life game of "would you rather".