Monday, April 20, 2015

Words That Move Us

I ran out of superlatives during the first five minutes of the Spring Show, and then sat mesmerized for the next two nights as Dance Company opened their hearts and bled dance.

Especially moving was the piece Golda choreographed.  I watched with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, thinking, "When/how did Golda grow to be a woman who had this in her?"  Her piece was exquisite.

Another moment was during Tori Nybo's piece, when Ruby had a little solo part.  I looked into her face and saw the cherubic little girl she once was, the hard-working dancer she is now, the woman she will be, and I saw the ancestors who have all contributed to who she is.  It was surreal to glimpse so deeply into Ruby's soul, but that's the power that dance has.

All during the second night's performance, I could see the emotion on Golda's face, as well as the other seniors.  All the hours they had worked together were drawing to a spectacular culmination, which was exhilarating.  Mixed with that was the knowledge that they are standing on a precipice, and they each will have to jump alone into the future, letting go of the hands they have held so tightly for so long.  When I think of the friends I danced with throughout my childhood, even those I haven't seen since, I can still picture each mole on their necks, each curve of their torso, each muscle in their legs, each bleeding toe.  It's incredible the familiarity dancers gain after so many hours in the studio.

Just as dance conquers time and space (aren't those some of the main concepts of modern dance), these bonds forged will stay strong, no matter how much time and space is between you and this last farewell.  I promise.




Each choreographer made a little display to represent her dance.  Golda's was based on a quote by Emily Dickinson, "No coward soul is mine."  Golda also came up with her own quote to explain her dance, which I think is so profound:  "Life requires a silent, resilient courage to face the world and find your place in it."
 Xanthe had a big party to go to Friday night, but she decided to see Golda and Ruby instead.  I took her backstage to say hi.
 Thanks for celebrating with us, everyone.  It was so meaningful to have family and friends there for another "last time" for Golda.  The thought occurred to me as I was trying to reassure myself that things aren't so final as they seem, that Golda's future accomplishments, things that we will be there to celebrate, won't necessarily happen on a stage.  As her parents, Scott and I will still inwardly clap for her, but it won't be from a darkened auditorium.  It may be behind the scenes planning a wedding, or in the delivery room, or, sooner than that, moving her into her dorm, watching her open a mission call, or saying good-bye at the airport.  Ultimately, our love and support for our kids may translate into again sitting in a darkened auditorium watching them as they watch their own kids onstage.  It's the most beautiful circle of life, and we are thankful our parents, siblings and friends are part of that circle, every time there is something to celebrate.


 Christie Perry is both Golda and Ruby's ballet teacher.  In fact, she teaches most of the girls in Dance Company.  She is a strong, positive force in their lives.






 I love how Tziporah is asleep.  The whole family in one place!  In the audience when I was holding Tziporah, watching the girls dance, I thought about how happy I was right at that moment.  I have everything I need.

 The seniors

 Emily Major, Amy Abel and Ruby.  Photo by Kelly Oram

 More by Mr. Oram

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Oh shoot. No video? I was thinking of you guys that night. I'm glad Ryan and the girls were able to come and see the show. I'm so proud of G and R and all of their hard work and dedication. Well done, ladies!