Friday, October 9, 2009

City of Distinction


There are so many things I like about my town. The farmers' market uses a tarp as security when they close at night, and nobody ever breaks in. I get to look at the beautiful mountains whenever I drive around town. Our movie theatre has the most buttery popcorn ever and it's only one dollar. There is an art museum in our library. The dog catcher returns lost kids. (That only happened once. Glad you're back, Ari!)

And we have Stewart's Gift Shop, a local treasure. They have a wedding registry and sweet children's clothes, and they've been around for generations. Araceli chose her baptism dress there, and the experience turned out to be a special occasion in and of itself. Ari was going to wear Ruby's baptism dress because I told myself we didn't need to buy another one. I asked Ari if the dress fit and she said, "Yes! Except I can't breathe at all because it's so tight and I can't move my arms. But I want to wear it!" I challenge you to not buy a kid a new dress after an answer like that!

We went to Stewart's and Araceli, who was as full of Glee as the fall lineup, chose the perfect snow-white dress. Shirley even gave Ari a gold ring with her birthstone in it, to go with her dress. Stewart's Gift Shop, where I got my first Easter dress and my wedding china, came through for Araceli. They say it takes a village to raise a child. My village literally does raise its children, from the teachers and coaches to the neighbors and store owners. I think the village is doing a fine job with Ari. She's turning out to be a wonderful girl.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

We can't wait to see it Ari! You are going to look beautiful!

Tiffany said...

That's it! I'm moving to your neck of the woods!
Ari is so, so beautiful. Can't wait to see pics of her in that dress!

sws said...

I love our town...for all the reasons you mentioned. I love that Stewart's is still here. We were there for a slip yesterday. Love how excited Ari! We agree that she is a wonderful girl!

Jennifer said...

What? You've already bought her baptism dress? You put me to shame. (Note to others: our girls are getting baptized the same day, and I haven't even thought of this!)

For some reason your beach shot didn't load the first time I read the Phone Home post, so I saw it here now at the bottom of this one. I LOVE IT! It's gorgeous. I hope you frame it HUGE! Your colors of orange and teal draw out those hues in the background. Plus, your expressions are priceless. Beautiful.

Michelle said...

I bought my boys blessing outfits there. My grandma always used to buy baby gifts there. Love Stewars. I noticed they have Madame A dolls on sale on my way to ballet. Brittany and I think we need to check it out for Christmas ideas! I agree, don't forget to show us how beautiful Ari looks in the dress!