Saturday, October 10, 2009

Little Foodie


Here's Xanthe, my little foodie, dining at Mama Testa's in San Diego. (Good food, very rainbow friendly. A family of eight could not be more out of place there, but it was fun.) When Xanthe joined our family, she was 13 months old and all her food had been pureed and served through a bottle. Her bottle had the top of the nipple cut off so that the food or milk would come out very fast. At first, she wouldn't take her bottle from us, until I figured out that she liked the formula scalding hot. I wish I had a video of it; she could gulp down a whole bottle in seconds flat. Five or six seconds to drink eight ounces.

When we got her home, I put her in a high chair and put Cheerios on the tray. She played with them but didn't put them in her mouth. All the other kids demonstrated how to pick one up and eat it, so she mimicked them. The first one, she picked up and aimed for her mouth. She hit her forehead. It was funny, but heartbreaking. She had never eaten solid food!

So she had some struggles. She went hungry, I know she did. All this time later, I could swear she's still making up for it. Spicy food has never bothered her. She likes everything, which is great. Except that if she sees that someone has something she doesn't have, she goes nuts. She gets frantic at a party where there are lots of different choices. She wants all of them. Sometimes, she says, "My tummy hurts. I ate too much. I'll just eat a little more." If she sees a McDonald's billboard, she's suddenly hungry. If there's an empty water bottle in the car, she's desperately thirsty. I realized how intense her eating habits are this summer at the pool. A kid near me opened a little bag of Doritos and it make a whoosh noise. Instantly, I was thinking, "You fool! Put that away! Xanthe is going to be crying for Doritos now." Sure enough, Xanthe got out of the pool and came running to me. "I need chips! I need chips weally bad!" I don't even think she connected why she felt like she needed chips. It was an instinct.

In a way, it's cute, her predictability. Every morning, she has to have two kinds of cereal, not just one. Her idiosyncrasies are adorable. But I also worry that maybe the desperate need for food is indicative of some deeper need that is not being addressed. I don't worry about it too much, but maybe I should. Some of you may have answers on this one. I'm sure some of you have food bills to send me from playdates with Xanthe. It's your own fault for keeping food in your house. You should have known better! It's a good thing she's so darn lovable.

8 comments:

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shane and Kenzie said...

I think many of us have the same problem that sweet Xanthe has! :) I am taking a childhood nutrition course in college right now, and I'm reading a book called "Secrets to Feeding a Healthy Family" by Ellyn Satter. It explains why children aquire certain eating habits from birth, and how to get them to break them without huting their feelings. It's an awesome book! If you want to borrow it, let me know!

Jennifer said...

"very rainbow friendly" -- ha ha. At first I thought that was a comment on the colorful chairs, and then I got it.

That book title looks interesting. I've noticed a certain mob mentality with my children and food. I wonder if they feel they have to grab something when they see it, even if they're not hungry at the time, because if they don't someone else will surely get it. Can't wait to dissect the psychology of that.

Michelle said...

I think you have great instincts with Xanthe. I am so glad she has you guys now.

The homestead said...

Xanthe is so cute and special. You're doing great keep it up.

Paige said...

I posted the frosting recipe. Eat your heart out. At least we know Xanthe will like it!

laurel said...

That is so sad. We had some food issues too. Breaks your heart. Maylin has gotten over all of her food issues, so I am sure Xanthe will too. It will just take time. Maylin had been feed solid food so that is a major difference, she just didn't get enough. She would save and store it. That is all gone now. I really think things will be okay. Hang in there.

The Brown Family said...

All three of my Chinese kids have had food issues and they still do to some degree. By that I mean the hypervigilance to where food is at in the room, restaurant signs, all the same kinds of things you are noticing. It just takes time. Pearl (adopted at 7) also had to learn to chew...her diet was mostly rice, congee and veggies like bok choy- not so much need to chew. Both of my girls love spicy, too.

I personally think that the memory of hunger is a strong driving force. It surprised me that my only food hoarding child is the one who was adopted at the same age as your sweet Xanthe, 13 months.

I have also noticed that food is a theme in much of my kids' play and art.

No easy answers, but I think that time, love, and the fact that we are aware of these issues can help our kids work it out.

Love
Kim