Monday, October 26, 2009

Take Three


This is a birthday gift from Golda, a paper cut of our family. Thanks, Golda! I love it! You are very creative and thoughtful.

Millions of people in the world probably had a fantastic day on Saturday, which was my birthday. I had a good day. My ballet students danced their best as a gift to me. I had a picnic lunch with my kids. I ran girls to lessons. I spent five hours at the church setting up, executing and cleaning up a ward party for 250 people. That was fun, but by the time it was over, I felt like I needed just one more day of celebration, on my terms.

So, even though I had already claimed Friday and Saturday, I staked out Sunday, too, as part of my birthday. Araceli had a cough, so I stayed home from church with her in a quiet house and sipped hot chocolate while I read my book. I wore sweats and slippers and tried not to clean up. I finished up fun stuff for the Halloween party. I cooked for enjoyment, not as a task, and I relished the scent of my new Scentsy candle from Sarah that filled the peaceful house with the smell of cinnamon. Everything I did was for fun. I ordered a book from Amazon that I've been looking for since 4th grade, and I read The Mouse and the Motorcycle to the kids. Later, the Kings came over for pumpkin pie. Scott put everyone to bed and I read for three solid hours, until the words swimming in front of me told me it was time to end my three-day tribute to selfishness.
So today it's back to the real world, which I love almost as much as my birthday world.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ordered you another birthday present.
Scott

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you took the day. Our Sundays sound very much the same. Good for you. You deserve it! Happy Birthday again!

Emily said...

You do deserve it ! I saw that paper cut in your house and was going to ask who did it, I thought it was so cute. Tell Golda nice job!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Circe. I can't believe the agenda on your birthday included the ward party. You are amazing! Glad you got some time to do the things you enjoy yesterday. Yes, we did get the invites. Thanks for thinking of us. We will try to come. Saturday is a bit crazy but your Halloween parties are a blast:)

Taylor Family said...

I love the paper cut. Tell Golda she did a great job. We missed seeing you and my cuddle time with the POD.

Amanda said...

Love Golda's artwork! Happy late Birthday. Now I feel like a shmuck for not knowing it was your birthday Saturday night when I saw you! Thanks for working so hard on your birthday on the dinner. It was yummy!

Anonymous said...

Your gift is so beautiful! Way to go, Golda!

SarahSmiles

Lisa and Tate said...

It is a well know FACT in Lisa World that if your bday boarders on a weekend (Fri/Mon) or is on the weekend (Sat/Sun), we celebrate the birthday for all four days! I am glad you are part of this thinking too.

The Brown Family said...

I always stake out the whole week, so this year you had a great start by taking the weekend...next week just make it bigger to the whole week. I refer to it as my birthday week to remind my kids, and husband!

I LOVE the papercut card. What an artist. A beautiful keepsake to remember your birthday weekend :)

Kim

love.boxes said...

A very happy "un-birthday" to you as well! We love you Circ!

love.boxes said...

... Oh! Brilliant Golda! I love it!