Friday, October 23, 2009

Where the Wild Things Aren't


I don't know about Maurice Sendak's crew, but all afternoon and evening, the only wild thing around here was Ptolemy. The rest of the wild things went off to a magical kingdom called Scheuller-topia, while Scott and I celebrated the eve of my 38th birthday. During their journey, the littles played and laughed and went to a movie. Meanwhile, Scott and I shopped and wandered and wondered at the lack of chaos. Wondered if we liked it, if we could get used to it. Just as things were getting too still and lonely, the wild things returned from their movie, happy little monsters. (Thank you, Scheu's!)

Having long since worked through our wild streaks, Scott and I opted for Christmas shopping and Panda Express as opposed to revelry and debauchery on my birthday eve. Now that I'm getting older, I have to be more dignified, though I did buy a whole tub of chocolate-covered almonds at Costco. That just screams "38" the way a fifth of Bombay Sapphire says "21," doesn't it? Things could get a little crazy!...In a suburban mom kind of way.

5 comments:

The homestead said...

Happy birthday Circe. We loved the Christmas party invites. Let me know if I can do anything.

Jennie said...

I hope you have a wonderful day. You are an amazing mom, wife, friend and person. I wish I had all of your patience, talent and zest for life. You are a wonderful SIL and I'm glad you are mine. Have a wonderful day - as wonderful as kiddos and a ward party can be. :)

Emily said...

Happy Birthday!!
We love you, don't tell my sisters but I am pretty sure your Esmae's favorite auntie....

Michelle said...

The good thing about that plan is I know you and Scott can have fun doing anything! HOpe you had a great birthday, I am so glad I shared my potatoe chips with you so many years ago! And I love my new platter! I will bring cookies on it to the Christmas party!

Lisa and Tate said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like a perfect kind of day!