Monday, October 5, 2009

Dear Grandma,


Happy birthday, Grandma Dopp! Each time I asked one of the kids "What is your favorite thing about Grandma," a big smile would cross their face. I knew they had lots of favorite things about Grandma, but the fun part was seeing their faces light up when they talked about it. Your sleepovers, your cakes, the delicious meals you prepare for us, Lagoon day, the way you make holidays so magical, your gravy, the trampoline, the cousins, the way you always give the perfect gift...

There are too many favorites to list. Scott got teary-eyed when he named "all the sacrifices she has made for me" as his favorite thing about you. When Golda heard us talking about it, she asked in a small voice, "Mom, did you have to sacrifice a lot of things to have us?" I said no, that my life would be empty without them. I'm willing to bet that you feel the same way about your family, that despite all the large and small sacrifices you make, the return of having a happy family is greater than anything you could give up in return. Because of your example, I'm learning that lesson better all the time.

My favorite thing about you is how I can lay my burdens at your doorstep when I enter your house. Somehow, all of my worries disappear when I'm in your home. Part of it is the love that surrounds my kids when we're there. With them cradled in the safety net you have created over years of devotion, I feel safe. When Golda was born, you knitted a beautiful white blanket that all of our children have used on their blessing day. Over those same years, you have woven a blanket of support and love, overlaid with your faith and desire for family harmony. We know how many hours have gone into it: 24 a day. That blanket is large enough for all of us and warm enough to keep us together and happy. No matter how big the blanket is, though, there will always be toes sticking out because Grandma like her toes to stick out, and everyone wants to be just like Grandma! We love you.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

What a perfect tribute to such a great lady! We all love her more than words can say.

Jennifer said...

Yay, you're back! You are so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people. I think it says a lot about YOU, though, to see such goodness.

Michelle said...

Happy birthday to Scott's Mom! Isn't it great to have great moms?!