Saturday, April 30, 2011

Music Stuff

 Last night was Araceli's cello play-in which she rehearsed for last Friday.  It's like an informal recital, with a big group playing arrangements of all the Suzuki pieces.  Here's a video of one of the songs, showcasing my poor video-taking skills as well as Araceli's ability to chew gum and play the cello at the same time.
 Quiz question:  Is this conductor (Paul Joines) American or European?  How can you tell?  Answer:  American.  He's wearing the universal conductor uniform; black shirt and blue or black pants.  The only way you can tell where he's from is by the shoes.  Americans wear white tennis shoes, whereas Europeans opt for fine Italian leather loafers. 
 Araceli drawing a picture for the cello teacher.
 Wrapping up a day that included almost passing out during the morning school choir performance in front of the whole school.  Ari said she felt dizzy and hot and sat down during the singing.  The principal and her teacher had to rescue her and take her to the office to call her mom.  Ari told me she wants to do choir again next year because "I want to see what it's like to sing in front of the school without just about collapsing."  That's something to shoot for, for sure!  :)
 After the cello play-in, celebrating Golda's achievement, getting a spot in the school's show choir, Rhapsody in Blue.  Congratulations, Golda!  While she's eating ice cream, she's going over some music from the audition.  Relax, Golda!  Rehearsals don't start until September!
 Freestone and Xanthe's violin and piano recital a few weeks ago.  They have the same teacher, which is great for recitals.  Freestone played Long, Long Ago and Xanthe played Little Playmates.  Xanthe goes through the same routine every time she plays in a recital.  She is fine up until 5 minutes before the recital.  Then she goes in to panic mode, turning white and clinging to me.  Right before it's her turn, she bursts into tears and sobs about not wanting to do it.  Then she gets up and plays and loves it.  Whatever works, right?

 Another Suzuki group recital. Nothing was memorable about this one except that Araceli took Ptolemy and got lost.  Fun, fun!  I can safely say that the whole music and dance thing is one of my favorite things about having kids.  Yesterday, I went from Freestone's violin lesson to take Golda to ballet to Ruby's group guitar to the cello thing, with practicing in between, and loved it.  Raising kids, there are so many good options, you just have to choose things you enjoy and go for it.  If we loved soccer, Scott and I would be on the sidelines for hours every Saturday.  We don't, and our kids will probably turn out just fine anyway.  I did go to a soccer game a few weeks ago, though.  My Uncle Jim and Aunt Da called to say that their nephew from Thailand was playing in a special game near our house.  It turns out the nephew, who is twelve, just came to live with Jim and Da and they're hoping he can stay through college.  Now, here is Uncle Jim, in his seventies, volunteering to raise a sixth child through to adulthood.  That's just Jim.  Their nephew, Frank, is really good at soccer, so they put him on a competition team.  Now they drive all over the state cheering at soccer games, in between their other kids' and grandkids' track meets, football, soccer and basketball games and chess tournaments.  I sometimes wonder how they do it, but I know it's because they love what they're doing.  Jim even told me at the game, as they left for Jessie's track meet, "We just love every minute of it.  Every time Frank scores a goal or Danny makes a basket or Jessie crossed that finish line, it's just all worth it."  I can't think of a better sound byte for parenthood, and not just in regards to sports.  (Sports are a metaphor for life, right, Scott?)  I joke with my kids when they don't want to go to a concert or they're too tired for ballet, "You don't want to go?  What??  This is the whole reason I HAD kids!  Now get in the car!"  It gets a smile, but it's a little bit true.  OK, a lot true.  And I'm loving every minute of it!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Cute Are! I'm laughing at her comment... was she nervous or maybe a bit under the weather?

Love the picture of all the kids at the bar. Golda is an over-achiever, for sure. ;)

Xanthe is predictable in her unpredictability. Love it.

love.boxes said...

What a wonderful group of musicians! I love Ari's hair.. pretty!

Meg said...

Hi Dopps,
I found your blog through Liz- hope you don't mind :) Circe I think your posts are so smart and insightful! You should publish them! I don't know if you remember me from highschool but I had a few classes with Scott-anyway, my cute little niece-Sydne Kay Gerrard- made Rhapsody as well-it will be fun to watch them next year.
Bye
Mendy Winborg Reese