Saturday, May 21, 2011

Picture Perfect

The one thing I had my camera for today was taking lots of videos of Ptolemy wearing giant soccer shoes and doing "hi-ya!" kicks.  It was so entertaining, I used up all the memory.  So I didn't have my camera at Freestone's baseball game to record a sublime and hilarious third base moment.  The sun came out for just a few minutes, and I looked over at Freestone, manning third base with his mitt perched on his head and his cap in his hand.  He was acting out some kind of skit where he was pretending to catch a ball in his hat and cheer.  I turned to Ryan and said, "Ry, do you think Freestone's ever going to be any good at baseball?"  Maybe, and if he does become a real baseball player, and not Abbot and Costello, it sure would be fun to have a video of his antics.

I wish I'd also had the camera when I went to Araceli's cello recital.  I could have taken a snapshot of her shocked face when another student started playing her same song, only twice as fast.  I whispered, "Just play it at your regular tempo," and I saw her expression relax.  I could have recorded her beautiful performance, including the composed way she recovered from a little mistake.  In the car on the way home, there was a gorgeous sunset.  I didn't have my camera, but I had four fun, energetic girls in the car to enjoy it with.  Golda tried to snap a picture with her phone, but she wasn't able to capture the magnificent colors of the sky.  I was reminded that life is so rich, it's impossible to capture on paper.  It's good sometimes to live in the moment without having to document it in any format other than memory.  Still, I love images.  Today, I'll remember...
Sarah bringing me a vase full of one of my favorite flowers, one that elicits memories of both of our grandmothers.

My generous sister-in-law Michelle making multiple batches of specialty rice crispy treats for my 30 end-of-year school, music and dance teacher gifts.  And this:

Ptolemy running away from me and toward the sunlight.  It may rain again tomorrow, but today it's almost summer.  I couldn't possibly capture all the good, fun, happy, sad, poignant moments that happen as all these little people zip through childhood.  I guess it's time to go outside and live some of them.

3 comments:

love.boxes said...

I am enjoying today and loving this gorgeous sun and the clean fresh air! Beautiful!

Thanks again for the help last night. We were cutting it pretty close on that one. C has 5 days to turn that report in. Thanks to you.. were' good :)

michelle said...

Beautifully said as always!

laurel said...

I never have my camera at the right moment either lately.

Loved the story of Freestone on 3re. Reminded me of a game Alex spent playing with a hole in the out field. Foot in, foot out....the whole game. He is really good at sports now. I think it passes with age.