Sunday, May 8, 2011

Scott






Here is what I love on Mother's Day:  The man who has made all my dreams come true.  I could have (and would have), like some of my brave and extraordinary friends, been a mother on my own.  I admire you, ladies, and all of the women around me who are absolutely dedicated to the idea of motherhood, each in their own beautiful way, whether they are in the thick of it or still hoping.

I am thankful that my journey has included a man as committed to motherhood as I am.  He was raised by a wonderful mother, he has always shown my mom great respect, and he has literally, spiritually and emotionally made my dream of motherhood a reality through a thousand baby steps over the past thirty years since Scott moved into my life.  He was a steadfast example of righteousness when my life was more about me, me, me.  He led me by example to the perfect life.  He supported me when I wanted to have a baby so soon after marriage.  He was excited when I felt like it was time for another baby a few short months after Golda was born.  He cried with me and demonstrated great patience with me after I had a miscarriage.  He was thrilled when a third baby girl was born, never mentioning that, gee, a son would be nice!  Though in shock, he rejoiced when Freestone came along just a year and a half later.  With four young children, Scott got down on his knees to pray for strength when I desperately wanted to adopt.  He found it in his heart to welcome Xanthe with open arms even before we knew her; before she was born.  She is here because of Scott.  And he found it in his heart to bring Ptolemy here through trial and heartache, waiting and wondering.  I look at Tolly Boy and see all the faith-filled decisions, capitulations and sacrifices Scott has made to bring our family to a place where I can sit on my front porch, look at the beautiful mountains and feel like I have it all.

This weekend, Scott took Jake and Freestone to Park City for an overnighter.  (It was the ward fathers and sons outing, but Scott told me there were two problems with taking little boys camping:  One, we don't have tents and sleeping bags.  Two, if we did have tents and sleeping bags, they'd have to sleep in them.  Park City is more Scott's speed.)  After a fun and probably exhausting trip with Ryan his two boys, Scott came home, grabbed his daughters and went right back up to Park City to do the whole show again with a different audience!  Late last night, I texted Scott to thank him for a relaxing and fun Mother's Day weekend.  I had gotten so many things done that I had been looking forward to.  He texted back, "I am actually having a great weekend.  I guess I am a dad first and foremost.  I haven't watched a single minute of an NBA playoff game, and I don't even care.  The kids are fun."

If that isn't the best mother's day gift I could ask for!  Along with the time to wander the greenhouse, plant my flower garden, read magazines, watch a movie, spend time with two or three kids instead of six, enjoy getting the house ready for brunch without interruption, organize my calendar clear through July, finish a bunch of tasks and generally do whatever I want for hours on end.  Thanks for giving me the blessing of being a mom, Scott.  I love it. 

2 comments:

Julia said...

Circe, you are such an inspiration! I did a post on blog like yours, I hope you don't mind me copy catting yours. :). I never got a call back from you but I found this website with a good 72 hr list, plus I still need to email you my food list. I can't remember if I got your email, so send it to juliacookecity@gmail.com. Scott, You're great!

love.boxes said...

Beautiful Circ.. you inspire me everyday. Love you!