Monday, May 9, 2011

Xanthe Has Two Mommies

 Last fall
 This spring


 Xanthe's secret smile
 Getting hot chocolate

Xanthe gave me a darling fill-in-the-blank Mothers Day card.  Thank you for helping her with it, Mme Stockett!  It says:

My mom's name is Circe.  She is 30 years old and weighs 45 pounds.  My favorite meal she makes is Chinese.  My least favorite meal she makes is carrots.  My favorite thing to do with my mom is getting hot chocolate.  My mom is good at dancing.  My mom is proud of me because I clean.  I love my mom because she works hard.  Love, Xanthe

What a cute note.  I am so glad Xanthe is my daughter.  As I tucked her in last night, I reminded her that she had a birth mother in China.  She still hasn't grasped the meaning of that, and doesn't really ask questions about it.  I tried to explain that she grew inside of her birth mother like Ptolemy grew inside of me, and that's why she looks so beautiful like she does.  She asked, "And she (the birth mother) was Chinese like me?"  I said yes, and she must have been very beautiful.  Xanthe said, "What was on her nose?"  Huh?  I don't get it.  I told Xanthe that if her birth mother could see her, she would be very proud and think Xanthe was beautiful.  She answered, "Ya, but not with this on my forehead."  She just happened to have a big goose egg from Freestone accidentally throwing a plastic baseball bat.  So, whenever we have these "birth mother conversations,"  Xanthe is very much in the moment and seems completely uninterested in trying to imagine a stranger in a faraway place growing her in her tummy.  I keep waiting for the tough questions, but I didn't think "What was on her nose?" would be one of them.  A wart?  Chocolate?

For me, I wish I could see Xanthe's birth parents just once, give them a hug, show them how sweet and beautiful their daughter is, and thank them.  Especially on Mothers Day, I am sad knowing that I will never know anything about the woman who carried our child and labored to bring her into the world, only to wrap her in a blanket and leave her alone.  It was an act of superhuman faith on so many levels, and her faith was rewarded.  I just have to believe that, on some level, that mother knows that her sacrifice was not in vain.

On the subject of adoption and heart wrenching, WATCH THIS.  We're not adopting again, but might you?  :)

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Two beautiful posts. I loved them both; X and Scott's. They are both fabulous. I'm sorry about X's little noggin bump. I hope she is feeling better today. That was quite the goose egg.

Nate said...

Beautiful post! "What was on her nose?" Xanthe is a funny girl.

laurel said...

That is so cute! What was on her nose? Funny. Kinda like yesterday Maylin asked me if Jesus had cheeks. Really? Cheeks? They think of such funny things.

Happy mother's day.

Jenny said...

I was thinking about Xanthe's head last night. Hope it is getting better. She is a lucky girl to have two mommies that care so very much for her.

The Brown Family said...

Kai brought home a similar note to me from pre-school. I found out that all of my 'favorite' things are EXACTLY his favorite things, too!

And I love that video you linked. Being a boy ISN'T a special need!

Love
Kim