Friday, June 22, 2012

Another Upstager



 With Scott and Freestone in the audience and the four girls in the recital, we had some left-overs:  Ptolemy and Tziporah.  I thought I could sneak Ptolemy into the little theater with the 500 dancers and nobody would notice.  There's a magician who does a show for the kids during the recital, so he would be thoroughly entertained from the comfort of Ari's tulle-covered lap.  When we walked into the Browning center and Ptolemy caught a glimpse of the dancers he exclaimed gleefully,  "Gwills!  Lots of gwills!"  And girls, or gwills, mean attention!  I handed Tolly to Ari and told her to keep a low profile.

The way Ari told the story later, it seemed inevitable that Ptolemy would end up onstage as the magician's assistant.  I'm sure Ari tried to keep a low profile.  See, it was during the Lost Boys dance, when every boy in the school was performing.  Ptolemy was the only boy in the magician's audience, and the magician needed a boy to help him.  He singled out Ptolemy and Ari took him onstage.  When asked what his name was, Tolly said "Chip!"  That got a laugh, so he said it again.  "Chip!  I'm Chip!  My name is Chip!"  (This Chip thing happened a couple of weeks ago.  PT suddenly assigned everybody nicknames, and he is adamant that we use them.  I'm Truffle, Scott is Skittles.)  So Chip did some tricks with hats and went back to his seat, an instant celebrity with the gwills.  Way to keep a low profile, Chip.


With Chip as the magician's assistant, I just had Tziporah.  There were plenty of "gwills" willing to take care of her, but she was nice and comfy in my arms, watching her sisters from backstage.  She didn't make a peep other than her quiet chuckles, signifying approval.  I handed her off to Ruby while I watched my class, though, in case there was anything to contend with, like someone going onstage in Crocs or a missing dancer.  These things happen.  Not this time, though, and all my daughters, dancers and friends did wonderfully.



 Look at Xanthe's little leg.  She loves to dance.  She had one hundred percent attendance this year.  In fact, she has only missed one class in her three years of dance, and that was because she had a high fever and slept for 24 hours.  She was so mad when she woke up that she had missed ballet!  She wanted to dance forever tonight, but even ballerinas have to rest...

...unless you're Ruby.  We stayed up late to watch Breaking Pointe, the Ballet West reality show.  I think Edgar Degas had it right when he painted dancers.  Quite possibly, there is nothing more beautiful.

8 comments:

Ruby Dopp said...

Breaking Point :)

Michelle said...

All so beautiful! Love Tolly stealing the show-and the sleeping ballerinas!

Jennifer said...

I'm laughing about the nicknames. You could probably write a thesis about the deep meaning of Truffle and Skittles. What cuties!

Shane and Kenzie said...

When I sit backstage I always feel proud of every single one of those dancers. They have put a lot of work into this (especially Xanthe...100% attendance? wow!).
I have wanted so badly to see the show "breaking pointe" but it came on as I taught jazz, and we don't have the COOL kind of television that will record it! I'll have to get the scoop from you tonight.

Jennie said...

How fun. I'm sure Tolly stole the show. Wish our girls could have been in the same cast. We would have been in almost every dance. :) What a whirlwind week for you guys!

laurel said...

I love it! What a talented family. I love the sleeping in the car pic. Describes how good the day was to a tee. Also, love Chip! How funny.

Nate said...

He is hilarious! Where did he come up with Chip or Skittles? "Gwills..lots of gwills" glee cracks me up. Good for Xanthe!

Anonymous said...

Too cute of pictures!..and too cute about Tolly..no grass will grow under his feet!...Tziporah has such big beautiful eyes, enjoying it all and taking it all in....Looks like at the end of the evening, it was all a great success and they feel like it and "we can now relax!" Great job!.XO Tricia