Monday, June 18, 2012

The Upstager



In 2003, before I started teaching for Clytie, I was very pregnant during recital week.  The baby was due on June 26, and I knew I didn't want to have him on Golda's birthday, the 23rd.  No way!  My PLAN was to watch Golda and Ruby dance in the recital on Thursday night and go to the hospital and have the baby Friday morning.  The 21st.  My doc was on board with my plan, so what could possibly go wrong?

Uh, anything.  At any time.  Wednesday afternoon at the girls' staging rehearsal, you could have found me curled up in a fetal position on a lobby bench groaning and crying.  I went into freakin' labor, for cryin' out loud, during recital week!  Only I didn't know it then.  I just knew I was miserable, so I drove down the street to Karen's office so she could check me out.  She reassured me that if my body was telling me something, I should listen, and to come to the hospital that night if I didn't feel better.  I wanted to meet that baby, but I didn't want to miss my darling girls' ballet recital!

At home, I fell asleep on the couch in the TV room because I just couldn't hike up the stairs to bed.  Around 2:00 in the morning, I heard my grandmother Golda's voice and she said, "It's time."  Big Golda had found out I was pregnant with Freestone the night before she passed away, so I bet she was watching out for him.

When Freestone was born the next morning, the cord was looped over the back of his neck, causing him distress.  My grandma was right; any longer and he might not have made it.  Hours later, my sweet daughters danced and I didn't get to see it, but it hardly mattered.  Freestone was here!

Now, forever and always, Freestone will have to share his birthday with the ballet recital, not to mention Fathers Day and Golda's birthday the same week!  I don't think he minds, though.  He has a generous nature, a sweet spirit and a lot of determination when it comes to planning plenty of party time into the mix.  He will not be overlooked!  Of course, we should have realized that the first time he upstaged the recital.

Happy birthday, Freestone Boy.  We love you!

3 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

Reading your story about Freestone gave me the chills! These babies come when they need to...I guess we just need to stop being stubborn about it! Did I tell you how many years Shane and I DIDN'T try for a baby in the month of March, simply to avoid a December baby? Well, we should have known better...and now that this baby is coming (finally!), December feels absolutely perfect.
Happy Birthday Freestone...I'll be thinking about you all week while I'm at the recital! ;)

Jennie said...

We hope he had an amazing day. But then again... it was filled with Boondocks. It doesn't get any better than that when you are a nine yr old boy! We love ya, Free!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Freestone, I remember visiting you and your mom in the hospital..Sally and I came to see how it was all going. Happy, Happy Birthday, from Aunt Tricia just arriving back from Italy where rest of family sends their wishes also. Hope you had a great B'day. Love, Great Aunt Tricia, glad your Mom listened to BGolda, we have to heed those voices. Love ya!.. XO