Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mom, Did You Ever Play an Instrument?


I love music people.  This is Ruby's guitar teacher, Mr. Johnson's (sortof broken) doorbell.
As we were listening to Xanthe's piano CD, she asked me, "Mom, did you ever play an instrument when you were a kid?"

Um, yes I did.  I played the violin.   I can even fake the cello a little when Ari needs a practicing break.  I learned by osmosis, trying to help Ari practice.  I EVEN attempt Xanthe's piano tunes sometimes! But I'm still REALLY bad.  I have never been able to play the piano.  I barely passed my piano proficiency test in college, after 3 tries.  Piano isn't the only instrument I can't play.  When Golda started flute and couldn't get a good sound, I said, "Here, let me show you."  I don't know why I thought I could play the flute, but I was surprised when I took the instrument, blew into it and...nothing happened.  Another example of my misguided confidence.  It's harder than it looks!  That's why I love to listen to Golda practice.  I can't believe she can do that!  One of my favorite instruments is guitar.  The classical guitar repertoire is so delicious, all of it.  When Ruby started lessons, my plan was to learn along with her.  I did OK for a few weeks, but then Ruby zoomed ahead and I couldn't keep up.  I'm resigned to just being a listener forever, which is just as fun.

Even with all my ineptitude, I can still play an instrument because once upon a time, I worked very hard and earned, through blood sweat and many, many tears, a violin performance degree from Indiana University.  I'm proud of that because it was so incredibly difficult.  I'm grateful my parents gave me that opportunity.  So yes, I used to play an instrument when I was a kid and I'm sure glad I did.  Music has brought me a lot of opportunities (trips to Europe!) and a lot of happiness (trips to Europe!).  (Although Scott would argue that my training has ruined me for listening to music.  I can't do it without criticizing.  Musician's Curse.)  I mentioned to one of the kids that, gee, orchestra sounded like a fun thing to do.  The kid said, "Yeah, Mom, of course it sounds fun to you.  It's your favorite thing in the world."  It's true.  From the moment I sat on the edge of my chair in 5th grade, hanging on Mr. Marsden's every flick of the baton, I've been hooked.  It would be impossible to count how many orchestras I've played in, but I've probably played most everything in the standard repertoire at least a few times.  My favorites have been Mahler, Beethoven and Bartok.  I don't play in an orchestra right now, and I do miss it, but my time will come again. 

Xanthe, keep practicing piano.  Someday your kids will wonder if you can do anything interesting or useful and you can say, "No, but I do play the piano!"

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That is an absolte shocking comment to me! Kids! I remember when I figured out my mom was an interesting person, not just my mom.

Jennifer said...

Ha ha! At least she didn't say, "Mom, do you play an instrument?" instead of her, 'Mom, did you ever play an instrument when you were a kid?" I guess children don't realize that what they do now can very well carry over into adulthood. It's so hard for them to imagine that far away!

Catherine said...

LOL! Kids say the funniest things!