Monday, June 11, 2012

Still Trying to Communicate With Freestone

Freestone was asking me about something on my phone and I said, "I don't know, Freestone, you probably know more about it than I do.  Computers weren't even invented when I was your age."

-You're lying!

-Seriously, there was like one computer in the whole world and it was as big as our kitchen.

-Riiiiiight.

-It's true.  When I was fourteen, my cousin was trying to explain email to me.  He said, 'I type something on my computer and I send it to my friend in South Africa and he gets it on his computer right then.  And it's FREE!'  We were all like, NO WAY!  That's not possible!

-Mom, I'm never going to believe anything you say ever again because you're a liar.  And eight times eight is a hundred and fifty.

-No, it's 64.

-No it's not, because you say it is.

I think the kid was in shock.  No computers?  Does...not...compute...(imagine robot movements.) We googled "first computer in the world."  How would we have found out all about the first computers if we didn't have a computer?  Can't even imagine!  Remember encyclopedias?  Wild.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Have you shocked him by telling him that:
- cartoons only came on Saturday mornings?
- there was no such thing as a VCR/DVD player?
- we had to GET UP to change the channel....and there were only 12 of them?

Heh!