Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Somewhere Only We Know...(and Five Thousand Other Fans)








 Scott's first concert was Howard Jones in 1984.  It was the first time, but not the last, that his parents drove him and a group of friends and brothers up to Park West and waited in the car while the kids enjoyed the concert.  Since that young age, Scott has had a passion for live music, and he has his parents to thank for fostering his interests.  Now he wants to pay it forward and share his favorite music with his kids and, of course, the love of his life, moi

We took three of our girls to Keane and rocked out with Ryan, Josh and Emily to the strains of some familiar tunes.  The night couldn't have possibly been more gorgeous.  It was the kind of summer night that reminds you why you live in this backwater desert.  It's a beautiful place!  I was enjoying the evening so much, I thought, "Hey, this is great!  We should do this again!  What other concerts are there this summer?"  Ugh.  I was in the perfect setting with the perfect people on the most perfect night of the summer and I was looking around for a sign that would tell me what other concerts there are to go to.  Am I the only person who has trouble living in the present? 

With the warm breeze on my skin, I watched my girls laughing together, felt Scott's arm around my waist, noticed Josh and Emily kicking back and smiling and appreciated Ryan taking Ari to buy a $4.00 Dr. Pepper.  I noticed all those things so that later, when I'm in a beautiful place surrounded by people I love doing something fun, instead of appreciating the present, I can look back fondly on the Keane concert.  It's not a victory, but it's better than nuthin'.  After all, Scott still looks back on his first concerts as some of the happiest times of his life.  I think my girls will too, and I just feel lucky to have shared this one with them, and with Scott, my very own rock star.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on!....Brought back memories of taking Sarah to her first concert, Rick Springfield, at Weber State when she was five, and it so it all began with her love of concerts!...You look like you had so much fun!..cute pictures, good description of the evening, and what is in store for you and Scott in the future taking your children to music concerts, they are so exhilerating and fun. Glad you had such an awesome time!...Keep it going!Something they will always remember..Love it!...Love, Tricia XO

jenn said...

Sounds like so much fun! Don't tell anyone but I have never been to a concert before...I don't count the county fair! Zeljko promised me one some day though, maybe when my boys are older and we can all go together, I think that would be even more fun...you're such an inspiration!

Jennie said...

It looks like fun. If Lex were home, maybe I should have gone. But.... it was nice to be home too. My day was jammed. It is fun to see all the pics. I especially like the ones of the bopsy twins, Ry & Scott. :)

Michelle said...

Officialy the coolest parents!

Unknown said...

try looking at www.davisarts.com they have a schedule of free concerts.

love.boxes said...

How fun! What a great evening!

Kristi said...

I find myself doing that same thing... I think it's a normal reaction when you are doing something you want to be sure to do again. That said, there are few things I love more than concerts in the canyon.