Sunday, January 31, 2016

North Shore

This is the beach across the street from the Marriott.  The houses on the beach are, for the most part, run down shanties, interspersed with some rebuilt beauties.  It makes me sad to think that the North Shore is slowly converting to a more upscale place.  It seems like locals are doing everything they can to "keep the country country," and I hope they succeed.  This place is so unique.


We opted to beach it at Turtle Bay resort, because of the good snorkeling.  There's a little bay there that's covered in coral.  Perfect for our beginner snorkelers.  There might be more fabulous snorkeling elsewhere, but this place is great.  I saw dozens of different kinds of fish, and Ruby saw a sea turtle.  She swam with him and had a moment with him.
We drove up the shore to Haleiwa.  How could you not adore this quaint little town? This was in a t-shirt shop, and I took a picture for my mom, who flew in and out of "HNL" countless times as a stewardess with PanAm.
Matsumoto shave ice!
It's a thing of beauty.  The condensed milk is my favorite part.
Lunch at the Giovanni's food truck area.  This is Kahuku Cafe, our favorite for macadamia nut shrimp.  It's so good, I dreamed about it all year.

This guy has the best, most authentic teriyaki chicken.
Look at that little hibachi he's cooking it on!  And it's so good!  This guy and his wife cook all week at their food cart, then teach traditional arts on Saturday and perform at Turtle Bay on Saturday and Sunday nights.  They work it.  Kalena told me, "Get in here and hug me like you mean it!"  So stop by his place when you're on the North Shore.


We were lucky to be joined by the Johnsons, who moved from Fruit Heights to Oahu last year.  Kiley was a ballet and Dance Company friend of Golda and Ruby, and her mom, Cherie, is one of the moms who makes everything run.  She's fun, too.  We had a good time talking on the beach, and Cherie made it clear that the girls were invited back, to stay in their guest room anytime.  I told her to be careful; they'll come!
I think my dripping hair got Cherie's shirt pink.  Ugh!  Sorry!

Araceli looks like she belongs on the beach.
One of Deano's favorite restaurants in Waikiki has a location in Haleiwa now.
At school, Araceli and Freestone tell people they're twins.  Now that Araceli has lost most of her friends, she says she's "training Freestone to be her best friend."  She tells him things like, "When I go in the bathroom, wait outside for me and hold my stuff."  Ha ha.  That sounds more like training him to be her assistant.


There are 300,000 stray cats on Oahu.  Most people wouldn't touch them, but Freestone loves animals.
He made several cats very happy.


We ended the night at the food trucks; Giovanni's and the Korean BBQ truck.  Hawaii is about the food.

No comments: