Friday, January 15, 2016

The First 20 Years

Remember when Scott and I went to Sweden and Italy in November?  That was for our 20th anniversary. When the actual date rolled around, we celebrated closer to home, in Park City. First, lunch with the Bazails at one of our faves, Sushi Blue. It's always fun with Sarah and Roland, and we were lucky enough to have our godsons there, too.

Here we are...20 years later.  When I married Scott, he was 25, I was 24. Marriage was the next step, and I was 100% dying to marry this guy, but I was so afraid I would somehow screw it up. We didn't have the most stellar track record up until that point; lots of missed opportunities, bad timing and unspoken words. In spite of all that, we loved each other.

As if we even knew what that meant 20 years ago. I think we have a pretty clear understanding of it now, and we've decided to see how the next 20 years goes, just to see if our understanding increases further.
Our anniversary dinner was at Riverhorse on Main. Early Bird Special. This was the best hamburger of my life, but I have to pause and tell you a story. Scott is a thrifty guy. Resourceful. Smart. When he was in college, he took a trip to California with his friends, Gary and Brian. Scott wanted to go to the beach, and didn't have much money, but the guys wanted to dine and shop. Finally, Gary uttered the infamous line, "Let's take Dopp down to the beach to look for coupons."

Scott is still savvy about getting the most out of an experience, which I love. I'm a complete convert to the deal-seeking, so we both thoroughly enjoyed our early bird burgers.

We stayed overnight at the cozy condo and were up at first light the next morning for - you guessed it - the early bird breakfast special at Ruth's Diner. We wouldn't have it any other way. Happy 20th, Dopp!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

So glad your timing finally aligned and you guys sealed the deal. I can't imagine anyone else as a sister in law. Love you guys!