Thursday, January 7, 2016

Poe in Dehli

We all suspended reality last night to watch American Idol, pretending there weren't mountains of homework to climb.  Thus, at midnight, Ruby had a three-stanza poem in the style of Poe's Raven to fabricate out of thin air.  I couldn't go to bed and leave her verseless, so in keeping with my New Years theme, I "took the time" to brainstorm with Ruby.  She may not have needed me; maybe I just liked the idea of the assignment.  Ruby is adept at imagery, and came up with a dreamscape about Dehli, a place that fascinates her from afar.  Because it's Ruby, the dream ends with a passport in hand.  It had to fit the meter of The Raven and have words that rhyme with "-or," just like Poe's poem.  (Lenore, I was thinking of you!) Did you know my dad offered me a hundred dollars to memorize this 4-page poem when I was in 6th grade?  I did it, and at last that skill came in handy.  Har har.  Actually, thanks, Dad.  I love Edgar Allen Poe because of you.  


Poe Parody

Once while I was napping soundly I had a dream that hit profoundly.
My mind had roamed to streets of Delhi, where I’d never been before.
Captivating colored saris swirled and swished like fast Ferraris.
Dizzy with each bold discovery, I burst through each open door.
Quarter tones of hidden sitars sounded strains I couldn’t ignore.
Music I’d not heard before.

Festivals of heat and spice, golden curries over rice
Shish kabobs and steaming naan left my palate wanting more.
Boom, clang, clashing all around me swallowed me as if to drown me.
The marked place enchanted soundly with its state of sweet splendor.
Up ahead I looked to see an intricate mosaic floor.
Another dreamscape to explore.

Just as I was fast approaching, wakefulness crept in, encroaching.
Blotting out the detailed tiles of a world I’ll see no more.
I knew my dream could never last, but with that thought the die was cast.
This Delhi tour was not my last, a lively place I now adore.
I’ll return in this dimension, knock on India’s gilded door.
Passport needed, nothing more.

-Ruby Dopp

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Wowzers! Love it Rubes (and Circ). Brilliant. I'm sure it will score an A. The bigger question is, has Ruby finalized her itinerary and does she have her boarding past ready to go. If not.... I'm sure it will happen soon. :)

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Wow. Love it! Talented!

Anonymous said...

Fab.