Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Teachers


Here are some of the most influential women in my kids' lives.  Jill, standing left of me in this picture, hosted a Christmas luncheon and invited all of Clytie's teachers.  It's a delight to see one another outside of the studio and the one-maybe-two meetings Clytie has every year.  The woman is a study in efficiency.  The LDS church and every other organization, large and small, could learn a thing or two from Clytie about how many meetings are necessary.  Two hours a year for a school with 23 teachers and 500 families.  That's right.

But my point was that it was fun to chat with the other teachers.  Everyone in that group, and many women I love who couldn't come, have spent hours and hours teaching, correcting, guiding and motivating my kids.  I can picture Sarah's energetic, late-night modern energy, Marsha's strict counting and easy laugh, Jennifer's careful implementation of pointe technique, Leslie's caring and thoughtful approach to each individual child, Marianne's challenging jazz combinations, Melissa's loud, happy voice telling it like it is, demanding more, Clytie demonstrating a technique with precision and "oomph," Christie teaching classes that would kill the average girl.

Next time, we'll have to get the rest of the teachers there too.  I've grown inch by inch over the years as a teacher, thanks to the examples around me.  I love my students, and I want them to feel safe in my class, and I want them to know that they are good.  Not just at ballet, but at being wonderful girls.  Each one, regardless of how high she can jump, or how well she can concentrate, is precious.  If I can find a way for ballet to reinforce that idea, then I have succeeded.  It's a journey, and one I'm grateful to be on with these friends.

No comments: