Monday, April 19, 2010

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait?

Yesterday at our Family Council (Don't be impressed.  It lasted less than two minutes during which we were eating Life cereal for dinner), everyone chose a word to be their focus for the week.  Ruby's was "finish," Ari's was "concentrate," Golda's was "read," Freestone's was "weed" because he likes to rhyme.  Scott's was "funny," and yes, Scott, I think we would all appreciate you being a little funnier.  New jokes, maybe?  You have your work cut out for you.

My word was "patient."  There are so many ways I can use this word to improve myself.  For me, the opposite of patience is rudeness, aggravation, stress, and temper.  Every time I find myself demonstrating a lack of patience, it negatively affects those around me.  Already today, I have checked my patience level about a thousand times and found it lacking.  I have my work cut out for me, too!  Helping kids with practicing, getting them out the door, teaching them to clean up, driving, grocery shopping, talking on the phone, waiting for things, working on violins, learning new things, accepting different viewpoints, facing disappointment, finishing tasks, dealing with late people, waiting for a kid to buckle up...Practically every minute of the day requires some level of patience.

So patience is my word for the week.  Thinking about it helps me not tailgate in the fast lane.  It helps me send kids to school with a smile.  When I'm patient, it helps Freestone avoid meltdowns.  It makes me feel better about how I treat people.  Having patience gives me time to understand where others are coming from and to evaluate what triggers are making me feel impatient.  Everyone in the family agreed that Xanthe's word should be patience too.  She doesn't have any.  She can think of 50 different ways to ask when dinner will be ready in the amount of time it takes to microwave a slice of pizza.  Then, as soon as she has the first 4 or 5 bites shoved into her mouth all at once, she is asking where her drink is.  Before I can open the fridge, she is crying.  Those situations are the ones where I need the most patience, so I don't end up screaming, "JUST HAVE A LITTLE PATIENCE, KID!!!"  That would be ironic, now, wouldn't it?

6 comments:

Maria said...

I really liked this post. Probably because I totally understood where you were coming from and feel the exact same way all day long every day. Thanks for making me realize I am not alone and need to think about having more patience.:)

Jennie said...

I think I'll join you on this one.

ps - how is Grandma Ruby? G's blog said she is sick. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

You are one of the most patient people I know. But your post rings so true. I'll think about it the next time we are late and I'm trying to get Em to sit still long enough to buckle the seatbelt. I liked your last post too. Opposites are great!

Michelle said...

Patience is definitely my word too. Every night when I pray for more I wonder if I should because isn't that what these kids are supposed to teaching me? Sometimes it seems they are just testing it. Why doesn't it feel like my patience is growing when they do that?

The homestead said...

I think patience is one of the most difficult attributes to master, but having children puts one on the fast track to mastering it. You are great Circe. I'm sorry to have missed you and Scott at Athena's open house.

Jennifer said...

I think you are incredibly patient. Maybe fireworks of frustration go off in your head, but you must have an amazing filter that keeps them there, instead of exploding in your words and actions.

(Like mine just now when Kyle for the umpteenth time hovered over my shoulder and said Are you done yet?)