Friday, April 30, 2010

Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself

During the Great Depression, sure, maybe there was nothing to fear but fear itself, but I'm facing a scarier scenario than nationwide bank collapse.  It's called Summer, and it's happening soon.  It's where nobody goes to school, nobody gets up at a certain time, and I spend 18 hours a day straight with six kids.  Do you hear the music to Psycho?  Because I do.  What the Freddy Krueger am I going to do with all these kids for all those hours?  Of course I like them...a lot!  But I like them on a schedule.  If we get up, do chores and practicing for two hours, have friends over for two hours and have lunch, it will be 9:30 in the morning.

These kids are too old to nap, too young to take the car and go camping, leaving me home alone with a good book.  What am I going to do?  Signing up for every class, workshop and clinic is not an option.  I can't spend the summer in my car in 90 degree weather, driving them from one activity to the next, and have you seen how much those things cost?  As much as I'm looking forward to sunny pool days, I'm terrified of summer.  I need ideas, and tons of them.  How are all of you going to handle the dog days?  I got out my calendar and, with a shaky, resistant hand, blocked out two full weeks of July with NO lessons or obligations, right after The King and I ends.  I know we'll be ready for a break, but I still have to figure out how all that free time is going to translate into something other than wet, sunburned kids tracking water into the house from the sprinklers and competing to see who can leave the most popsicle sticks on the driveway.  If you have some good ideas you want to try out, I have some kids you can borrow to try them out on.  Minimum three night requirement, and they bring their own sleeping bags, sidewalk chalk, sprinkler toys and craft paint.  You just have to supply 27 healthy snacks a day and clean up after them.  Oh, and they will require five trips a day to the Sno Shack, applications of sunscreen every three hours and several movies a night to watch between the time the pool closes and whenever it gets dark outside.  Are you scared yet?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I know, I figured out yesterday Josh only has 3 weeks of preschool left! Help! I am planning on Gailey park 10:30-12:30 every Wednesday. The big kids can have their own blanket and I will bring the fingernail polish. Does the Kaysville Theater have a summer movie program? This needs to be a topic of discussion at lunch next week!

Kristi said...

You make me laugh, and yet I too feel the fear! My older girls are just happy to sleep in and hang out.... Lacey is going to Weber summer semester, so she'll be busy. Hollie is working at Cherry Hill. Lily is my issue - I can already here the cries of boredom.

You have just enough of an age range for things to get tricky. And Ptolemy is a bit of a complication... But I trust you'll make it all work.

BTW, Yes! I do realize Scott & Jason know each other. I think we've run into each other as couples a time or two - Bowmans or somewhere Kaysville-ish. I see you out and about on occassion... I promise next time I'll say "hi."

Kristi said...

I really should proofread before I submit my comments... I do know there difference between hear and here. Here, here!

Taylor Family said...

I say we each take a day to have all the kids at our houses. Then we only have one day to entertain them. Cade loves playing with Free so drop him off at my house everyday. I know they have summer movie thing at the Layton theater. If you buy the pass it ends up being 50 cents a movie

Anonymous said...

You can come visit it us for a few days...pool right in the back yard & plenty of kids' movies! Carter and Abby would be in heaven!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Didn't your older girls gather up all the neighborhood children and stage a play one year. Maybe Golda and Ruby and a few friends could collect an all-star cast including Ari, Freestone, Xanthe, and Ptolemy and put on a production that rivals the city one! And keep them all busy while they are at it:)

Michelle said...

I just came back to see what great suggestions everyone came up with. I forgot about Golda's Drama camp last year. I vote for that!