Friday, February 18, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

Ruby joined the ranks of Dopp girls (blame the King side!) who have migraines.  For the first time today, she got the vision loss.  Crying and wandering around disoriented, she sounded like Mary Ingalls in that one episode, just like Golda when she got her first migraine.  "I can't see!  I can't see!  Help me!  Ma!  I can't see!"  Two Imitrex and five hours in the fetal position, and Ruby was almost 100% better, which was a surprise.  She is the first one who has responded that well to medication.  Hooray!  She was back to her happy self for group guitar, but just barely.  Moving her head still hurts.

My parents went with Ruby and me to guitar, because we went to an art show of one of Mom's former students during the lesson.  In the car, I was telling Ruby about my first migraine.  I hadn't known what was happening, but I thought I was going to DIE, and my mom went out to run errands.  (Sniff!)  My mom was saying how awful she felt for leaving me in pain when Ruby shrieked, "Mom, that's exactly what happened to me today!  YOU did that!"  Oh yeah.  Well, I guess I wasn't too scarred when my mom left me.

I also told my now-funny story about having a migraine at my own birthday party when I turned 12.  I still didn't know what it was that made me feel like my head was going to implode, but I was trying to act happy for the party.  Mom took a Polaroid of me with my friends and I didn't smile.  I was in so much pain!  She gave me The Look for not smiling and wasting a Polaroid shot.  Those exposures were like two dollars each!  The saddest part of the party was that I had asked for Betty Crocker Potatoes Au Gratin, and my mom bought them!  Packaged food in a whole wheat household!  They came dehydrated with powdered cheese in a box, and they looked soooo good on TV.  And they were delicious at my birthday party...until I threw them up in the toilet because of the migraine.  But I wiped my mouth and got back out there to party.  Just like when I was in college.  But that's another story.

Sorry about my genes, Ruby.  With any luck, you'll grow out of the Migraine Curse, like I did.  Hang in there! 


6 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

Ha! What a great story. I got my first migrane on 50's day in 5th grade. I remember crying because I thought I was going blind... I guess I was a bit dramatic... but what tween isn't?! :)

Jennie said...

Poor Rubes. I'm glad she is feeling better. I'm also glad I've never had to experience one. How terrible!

Paige said...

Poor girl! That's so sad. Now tell the college migraine story. All my college stories involved sneaking out, cutting class, and boys. No good illnesses.

michelle said...

Poor Rubes! But good stories!

Eliza2006 said...

I have that same migraine curse. I'm afraid I won't outgrow until menopause. Yuck!

love.boxes said...

That makes me sad. Craig get them and they are terrible. I hope that doesn't happen very often Rubes. :(