Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Secret Garden


  There was a little touch of spring at our house yesterday.  As the storm approached, we had a little garden party and talked about the mother-daughter book club book, The Secret Garden.  It was a fun discussion, but we realized we don't know much about the British occupation of India or the Moors of England.  Oh well!  Everyone still enjoyed the idea of a garden restoring children to life.  Tiffany brought a beautiful key necklace for each person.  Thank you!  What a perfect party favor.  Jennifer brought all the ingredients for an egg head project, (Thank you!) except the dirt, which I had forgotten.  Ari and Elise went outside and dug up a bowl full of dirt for the project.  While the kids assembled their egg heads, I got gardening tips from Amber and Jennifer.  I'm going to start with, "Don't plant things until you have an automatic water source."  Believe it or not, I didn't follow that one last year.  I thought I could remember to water with the hose twice a day, but in this climate, one missed watering is - and was - deadly.

The book for next next month is The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt.  I started reading it last night, and the tone reminded me of The Wonder Years or A Christmas Story, but with lots of Shakespeare references.  If you have kids that don't want to read it, read a different book and bring it to tell about.  So book club is at 4:30-5:30 on March 19.  You're invited!

2 comments:

Nate said...

Glad you had a touch of spring yesterday! What a fun party. The greenhouse is the only place where spring is seriously in evidence. Sorry Ruby has migranes but glad she responds to meds.

Jennie said...

I'm sorry we missed. We'll try to plan better for next month.