Monday, February 14, 2011

Christlike

Sunday night, a friend of mine called to see if she could bring dinner to us the night of Aunt Ann's funeral.  I felt completely unqualified for such a gift, but I said yes because it seemed rude to turn down a gesture from a friend's heart.  After I hung up the phone, my mind sped ahead to Thursday, and I imagined myself not having to make dinner in between the funeral and teaching and all the kids' dance classes.  I suddenly felt ten pounds lighter! 

Thinking about Cindy's generous offer, I realized that I haven't done a darn thing for anybody in longer than I can remember.  Nothing.  Starting small, I took some valentine donuts to Cindy's house.  She teaches second grade in the afternoon, and I caught her before she left.  She opened her door, dressed in her beautiful school clothes, welcoming me to an immaculate house.  After a hug and a word of thanks, she invited me into her kitchen to give me valentine sugar cookies.  Several plates of cookies were on the counter, labeled with neighbors' names, ready to go.  The table was set for dinner with china and valentine decorations.  Cindy said it was because she wouldn't have time to do it later, with teaching and parent teacher conferences at the high school.  A happy birthday balloon was the only trace of the dinner party she threw for her daughter's eighteenth birthday a few days ago for a large group of her friends.  Cindy pulled a huge Tupperware full of frosted sugar cookies out of the fridge.  With a compliment and a cookie for me and each of my older girls, whom Cindy teaches at church, I went on my way.

I have bought into the notion that "you can't do it all," but after a visit to Cindy's house, I'm rethinking that philosophy.  "Doing it all" doesn't mean knocking yourself out to be perfect.  It means taking the time to really know what is important in your life, and then doing those things with grace.  Cindy does it all.  Don't tell me she doesn't.  And did I tell you that she's in the Young Women's presidency?  And that her son, in school at BYU, is seriously ill and waiting for a liver transplant?  Can you imagine the doctor visits and the emotional wringer she survives daily?  And SHE is bringing ME dinner on Thursday.  I'm humbled and inspired.  Thanks, Cindy. 

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great tribute and reminder. I know what you mean about Cindy. I was her visiting teacher for a time and it seems like she always did more for me than I for her.

michelle said...

I must comment here and say that your smile, humor and attitude are counted among the gifts of service I receive weekly. You always make me feel like I am spectacular at lunch and that is definitely a gift without price!

sws said...

You haven't done anything for anybody? What? Is that in the last 30 seconds? Your whole day is service - and I agree with Michelle, your optimistic attitude and sense of humor inspire us all.

love.boxes said...

Cindy is truly inspiring.

Circ... you did atleast 4 really nice things for me last week. I think you do so many nice things for people that you don't even realize it.

Amanda said...

Boo-hoo! I miss having Cindy for a neighbor. There truly aren't better neighbors than her family!

And you do things for other all the time! Thanks for driving out to my house to bring me Tiger Mother!