Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Free Range Kids

My sister-in-law Michelle recommended a book to me that I found awesome and funny.  Free Range Kids is the title, and it's about giving kids freedom to become independent and self-reliant.  The author had me laughing at the sarcastic way she pokes fun at the culture of fear we live in.  I am not, by nature, a worrier, so I eat tons of cookie dough (raw eggs), I give babies scissors, trick-or-treat in the dark and let my kids walk alone to school.  Right now, Xanthe and Ruby are painting a mural on Xanthe's bedroom wall.  Just today I dropped Ari off alone at the ortho, to be picked up later by my mom. Ruby spent time alone with an adult male in his house, as she does every week (guitar lesson) while Ptolemy ate glue in the car.  The other kids, 30 miles away, walked home from school by themselves in a winter storm.  I know what independence is.  I lived alone in Paris for three months when I was fourteen.

So I agree that we should "live by what we know, not by what we fear."  The book's statistics state that your kid would essentially have to stand alone on a street corner with a "Kidnap Me" sign for a hundred thousand years to get kidnapped.  Phew!  So I can let my kid walk to school alone?  Great.  BUT...where the author and I part ways is when she claims, "very little we do as parents will actually make any difference because kids are genetically wired to be who they are."  That is patently ludicrous to me.  Oh, so Xanthe is going to grow up to be a peasant farmer in China because of her genes?  That's gonna be weird.

What parents do makes a difference.  For a certain finite time in a person's life, their children are their life's work, and that's OK.  I'm all for sending your kid on the subway alone.  But what's the big rush?  I knew a woman who allowed her kids to make all their own choices.  The oldest burned their house to the ground smoking in bed at age 14.  Natural consequences, indeed.  There are so many things a kid can do to gain confidence and independence;  setting goals, meeting family and church responsibilities, learning to work hard, becoming proficient at something through consistent effort, sacrificing your time for others.  But if a solo subway or bike ride is all you have to help you build confidence, I guess you have to take what you can get.  Golda doesn't walk home from school because it's a waste of time.  Is she a coddled, fragile "teacup kid?"  No, she's busy engaging in activities that give her independence, confidence and self-esteem, like studying for good grades, managing her time, dancing, teaching classes, helping her parents and practicing flute and voice every day.  I'm sure she could muster enough independence to sit in a tree and stare at the clouds if she wanted to.  I'm sure all my kids are strong enough to wander over to a neighbor's house, knock on the door, and ask if they can play there.  It's not such a complicated skill.  I get that "play is a kid's work," but I also would argue that work is a kid's play.  They model work when they play; fixing dinner, building forts, caring for babies.  They love hard work. 

Here's the book's laissez-faire train of thought.  "I don't want to invest the time and energy to give my kid confidence and independence through gradually building skills or talents, and I certainly don't want the poor little thing to do anything he doesn't want to do, even for a second, but I do want him to be brilliant and independent.  Hmm...I know!  I'll let him play with rusty farm implements in a vacant lot until dinner with no adult supervision.  That way, he will become a smart, independent, driven adult who thinks outside the box, just like Albert Einstein, and I can go surf the web while he's raising himself to have all the values I do.  After all, kids in third world countries have been wallowing in the dirt for centuries, and it works for them!  And folks in Sweden park their babies out on the sidewalk while they dine in restaurants, so I should definitely leave my infant unattended so he can get fresh air like the Swedish babies.

Fine, but just because you daydream and quit piano doesn't mean you're Einstein.  Kids in Third World countries would jump at the chance to do anything besides be independent, carrying water and raising smaller siblings, sometimes without the help of parents.  I think it's patronizing and offensive to people in Third World countries to suggest that their little ones are independent by choice, and to claim that we envy their lifestyle, devoid of opportunities and even basic necessities.  As for Sweden, I asked all the Swedes I know and none of them had ever heard of leaving a baby outside a restaurant in a stroller.

But I think the author's point is that we can relax.  A LOT!  And I agree.  I must say I appreciate the backlash in the book against the fear generated by the media and other parents.  We do not have to be afraid of every possible or perceived danger!  But just because it's safe doesn't mean kids are better off making their way alone.  My ballet mentor, Clytie, told me, "There's a big difference between 'giving' a class and 'teaching' a class."  I believe in teaching.  However, I also believe that there are a thousand different and valuable ways to raise a child.  My free range sister-in-law, Michelle, is doing a fine job raising a free-range son who is creative, exciting and kind-hearted.  Her little free range bird and my tiger kittens get along just fine.  It's a zoo, but it's all good. As Winston Churchill said, "The worst quarrels only arise when both sides are equally in the right and equally in the wrong."

9 comments:

love.boxes said...

I'm wondering if free-range parenting isn't exactly why the 3rd world IS the 3rd world.
My experience with a "free range" mentality is this: My 5th and 6th grade teachers allowed me to be "free range". They let me decide what I wanted to do most of the whole day every day. So, I colored pictures and neglected my studies. .. and still I got very good marks. I was not challenged. I was not even noticed mostly. When I got to 7th grade, I was a miserable failure. I was about 2 years behind any kid who'd applied themselves during 5th and 6th grade. Now, had I been a very unique and exceptional kid, I would have studied away w/out teacher supervision, but I was just an average 12 year old and I wasted my time. Einstein is a VERY unique person.
Occasionaly, I see those teachers around. You'd think I'd have all these fun memories. I don't. I don't even like them. I wonder what they were thinking letting a 12 year old make such important decisions. But, I know what they were thinking, they didn't care enough to make the effort.

sws said...

What a fun read after Tiger Mother! Your writing is fantastic, Circe. I love how you express your thoughts. I'm right there with you in your option (even though I haven't read the book.) I have observed that H will play DS all day long if it's an option and I remember Tiff saying that no adult will say, "gee, I wish I played more video games or watched more TV as a kid." You generally hear adults say, "I wish my parents insisted on better grades, or didn't let me quit ____, or get to school on time." I think you realize when you are an adult that those early lessons help develop good habits and teach you responsibility.

michelle said...

Isn't this parenting thing a great topic?! Great post, I love how these books are making me think more about my parenting!

Jennifer said...

This post is great. The first thing I think about "free range" is the association with eggs, the idea that hens' quality of life (and egg quality) is better when they're allowed to roam free in an idyllic field, rather than cramped in an industrial coop. Sounds good. A farmer would still have much control, though, such as installing safeguards and providing nourishment when nature was lacking. It would be crazy otherwise.

That's the funniest parenting propaganda I've ever heard -- that what we do won't even make a difference!

I actually think your children are incredibly balanced between structure and free periods where their creativity can soar. So, good job! Great point about how children model our work when they play. When does it become drudgery? That's what I really want to know.

Paige said...

I have purposely NOT read that book because I'm already too "free range" of a parent! I let my kids walk to school, ride to Grandmas, pump and pay for gas, "run into" the store for me, use my credit card, etc. some take to it easier than others. Some of my kids love getting the freedom, and others are forced. Since it's our job to teach them to be adults, what better way to practice?

Thanks for your review on Tiger Mother too. Yours is the opinion I most trust...

Paige said...

And my kids would watch TV/play computer/DS all day if I let them! So I never do let them do that stuff except when I NEED them to (prepare dinner, nap). Which means it's ALL they do when their dad is with them every other weekend. I figure it's a decent balance and he may be a crappy babysitter but he's free...

Jennie said...

I need to hurry up and finish the book so I can weigh in with a knowledgeable opinion. Loved the post. I always love your insights and take on life. Even if I haven't read the book yet, I already know I agree with much of what you said. My job is to train up a child in the way he should go. I know if I do my job to the best of my ability, they will stay true to the course. I'll try and read fast. I know others are waiting for the book.

Michelle said...

I think I'm reading both this book and Tiger a lot more literally than you are.

In my world you are the queen of free range, because well as you said, you don't worry and let your kids play and do what kids do. All I got from this book is a bunch of chapters on how stupid "saftey products", how we overprotect our kids from the world, how CNN sells fear, and how we spend a hell of a lot of time worrying stuff we shouldn't so let your kids be kids.

I got none of this stuff about genetics, walking to school being a waste of time. In fact I totally don't get the Golda thing, if you don't walk to school because it's considered a waste of time wasn't addressed in the book at all. All she said is "don't drive kids to school because they aren't safe walking a few blocks". I don't get any of the other stuff you are talking about, with Golda, and the subways and the bkies, and why one thing builds confidence, and why one might not, or all this third world stuff. To me her point is "for all of human history we have surviced as a species without constant parental hovering and fear, so get over it already".

I completely skipped the nature/nurture section apparently, and not only that I think this book and Tiger mom share a lot more in common than they don't.

Yeah one mom was really musical intruments, and one let her kid quit guitar but that isn't much of a difference in style.

Both books are saying stop treating kids like china, and realize that are made of tougher stuff than we give them credit for.

You all saw all this "here's waht she was saying that helps me" from Tiger mom. And I got a memoir from a rather mean mom, that was too hard on her girls and figured that out in the end. It was like reading "The Glass Castle" I didn't walk away saying "how can I take some of this and apply it to my life", I just though "wow disfunction makes for an interesting memoir." I was surreal.

And so is this, Jake is a "free range kid" in that I really value play and outside physical activity. I think he can do a lot more than people give kids credit for, and that Americans worry too damn much about stuff that isn't likely to happen.

As I said in my review of Tiger Mom, that isn't my psrenting philosophy, and neither is this, I already didn't worry about all that silly stuff, I just like having the stats. in hand.

But I'm happy at some point to send some stuff on my actualy parenting philosophy, it follows what I posted from LDS.org, and the secular name for it is "Love and Logic".

So I'm definitely missing something here.

Oh except I did hear an interesting study being talked about on NPR. The more studies done on basic personality the more evidence that the majority of our personality traits to actually come from genes. Our genes, not our parents make us who we are.

The "nurture" part of the equation is that our parents teach what to do with how we are, or have a large role in how we behave.

So say a killer may be born with a more violent personality than another person, but generally it's severe disfunction at home that leads to the killing.

Or in the Xanthe example, farming is a behavior, so no Xanthe is not in the environment to learn that.

But there is not one darn thins you can to Circe to parent the spicy out of her, that is who she is and it came with her.

Amber said...

I like your take on both those books. Now I don't have to read them-- ha ha. Thanks-- parenting can be tough- it's hard to figure out what is best and it's hard to follow through-- but it is so worth it!!!