Thursday, February 17, 2011

Is This a Metaphor for My Life?

This is what I found when I opened my violin case to teach a student.  Don't worry, the violin was safe in Freestone's room, and Tolly's favorite sippy cup wasn't even tipped over.  And it's a good thing, because I love this violin case. I've had it since I was in 7th grade.  That was the year that my parents found out that good violins cost thousands of dollars.  They took me to Peter Prier's to play a violin that our friend, Ray, had recommended.  I fell in love, but the parents had sticker shock.  They decided that I could have the violin if I practiced three hours a day for a couple of weeks.  That way, they'd know if I was serious.  I was serious, and I earned the violin.  Then my teacher said I needed a better bow, to the tune of another couple thousand.  Same deal.  Lots of practicing.  So, by Christmastime that year, the King family was broke, and it was all my fault.  (Sorry, Trajan and Josh!)  The only thing I asked for for Christmas was a violin case for my wonderful new fiddle.  It was one of those years that my parents tried to "cut down on Christmas."  It never happened, but they tried!  My mom had decided that 500 bucks would cover the whole holiday.  Her first stop was Peter Prier's where she would pick up the violin case I had asked for.  It was the Cadillac of violin cases, the Gorge.  Peter told my mom that the case cost five hundred dollars, and she sat down right there and cried.  I think Peter ended up practically giving the case to my mom, he felt so sorry for her.  It wasn't the last favor Peter Prier did for me, and I love him to this day.  He was one of my great mentors, and was at my wedding in the Salt Lake Temple.

I wasn't aware of all the hands that were lifting me along my way when I was young and it was all about me.  I'm aware now.  I laughed when I saw Ptolemy's sippy cup in my violin case.  That case has seen me through all the stages of my life.  I've used it as a pillow on countless bus rides to countless gigs, and schlepped it through the St. Louis airport dozens of times, on my way to and from school. There have been times when it's languished in a corner, waiting its turn while other things took center stage.   But it's still playing its part, even if that part encompasses more than just holding my violin.  Great Christmas gift, Mom and Dad.  I bet you didn't know how much I would use this thing!  Thanks.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Are you weary of comments that say "beautiful post"? Well, too bad. This is yet another. You are an amazing writer, and I love reading what you create. Was the milk still cold?

michelle said...

If I can instill your sort of dedication in my kids I will go buy the violin case right now!

The homestead said...

Your just lucky the milk wasn't a couple of weeks old. That would take some airing out. Love your writing!

The homestead said...

I know it's you're not your. Love you!

love.boxes said...

I love THE PERFECT GIFT and this was a once in a lifetime perfect!