Monday, February 7, 2011

Park City










Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, Scott and I were able to get away to Park City for an overnighter Saturday, thanks to a 24-hour window between flute and ballet Saturday and teaching Sunday School the next day.  The kids were excited about our vacation.  It has been since we were in China 5 years ago that Ari has had a sleepover at Grandma's and it was Xanthe and Ptolemy's very first time.  They were packed days in advance and had a GREAT time playing with cousins and being spoiled.  Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa!  Xanthe told me that Grandma is the best cooker in the world, and that she likes to cook every day.  I have to agree with that observation!  :)  Golda, Ruby and Freestone went to Jennie and Ryan's where they feel comfortable and relaxed and get to do fun things with their fun cousins.  Thanks, guys!  We know you made room for us in a packed weekend, and we appreciate it!

Scott and I drove up to P.C. Saturday afternoon, discussing a bunch of things that we never get to fully discuss in real life, about how things are working with our kids and our daily lives and our goals.  Nothing wrong with a "working" vacation, right?!  Our first stop was Kimball Junction, where our sister-in-law, Emily's, art show had just opened.  Amazing!  It was awesome to see her work on the walls, and know how many, many hours went into her creations.  I am so impressed by Emily's creativity and her ability to bring her ideas to fruition.  It's a fun show, so take a drive up the canyon and check it out.

For dinner, my stipulation was that we could not dine anywhere that had lids and straws on the drinks.  It was tough, but we did not default to Panda Express.  We dined at Hapa Grill and had one of the best meals we have ever eaten, including plentiful sushi rolls and dessert.  We tried to stay awake long enough to enjoy the solitude of the condo, but I fell asleep at 10:30 and I think Scott had already given up, too.  I slept way in the next morning, with no dogs or kids to wake me.  We watched skiers come and go at Starbucks while we read the newspaper, then spent a couple of hours at Barnes and Noble.  One of Scott's newly discussed goals was to have reading time with Ari every night, so he chose a book that they could read together.  I started reading Free Range Kids, a book my SIL Michelle recommended.  Oh, we're in for a rousing debate, Michelle!  :)

The weekend was just long enough for Scott and me to recall that we really do like each other as people, and not just as partners in the joint venture we have going, known as Raising a Family.  Scott is fun, just like he always has been.  He is still funny, still holds doors open for me, is still slightly irreverent, still just as smart and thoughtful and motivated as he was when we were best friends in our teens.  It's good to know we're still on the same page after all these chapters!

We got home just in time to do our thing at church and walk in the door of our house to a Super Bowl party that was just unfolding.  I love our families!  Four quarters and many delicious snacks and conversations later, the other Dopps departed and Scott began his first night of Ari Time with their new book.  Yes, we needed a break to regroup, and yes, we are energized to keep going, knowing where we're headed and what it takes to get there.  Thanks, Scott!  I knew you were perfect when I married you.  I just didn't know you would keep getting more perfect!

8 comments:

The Mink Family said...

My favorite picture was of you in the corner (of the children's section!) at B&N!!! Perfect! Still MY favorite place too... with or without children! xoxo

Jennie said...

Yay! I'm so glad it happened. It is hard to get away, but oh so worth it. I just wish you could have taken another day or two. Less than 24 hours is not enough time to enjoy kid free solitude.

ps - I would love to read the boook when you are done. I'm always up for a parenting discussion.

Michelle said...

Looks like a great get-away!

Nate said...

So glad you had a chance to get away together. I'm learning just how important that can be! Please review Free Range Kids when you finish:)

laurel said...

We just got back from a get-away too! Don't you just love them! Best thing invented....too bad they don't come often enough.

Glad you had a great time!

Emily said...

Glad you liked the show :) So happy you got a good night sleep & a little get away with Scott!

love.boxes said...

I love that you guys got some time to yourselves. Wonderful!

Michelle said...

Hey, where did that last post go? I am going to need an explanation at lunch tomorrow.