Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brace-Let

Before
After





Little Araceli got braces yesterday.  Even though she's only nine, her bite needed correcting immediately.  First step, the painful palate spreader, which Ari had to have a picture of. (Sorry!)  She has to tighten it two turns a day with a special key.  Yikes! 

I left Ari at the ortho and was zooming around getting all my errands done when I got a call from someone who said, "Mom, chzan you czhome ghzet me?"  Followed by slurping noises.  It took me a minute to figure out that it was Ari, unable to articulate with her new hardware.  I took her to Arctic Circle where she got a sundae, which she choked on.  "It just flew down my throat!"

I knew the braces would take it out of her, so we rescheduled cello and missed ballet so Ari could get all dressed up to go with the big girls and Aunt Jennie to the Ballet West dress rehearsal of Sleeping Beauty.  The impairment to her mouth didn't stop her from liberally applying eye makeup for her big night.  She was probably the most glamorous girl in the audience.  By the time she got home from the ballet at 11:00, she was groaning and begging for Tylenol.  Sweet little thing, she looked so old!  Lately, all of Ari's teachers have told me how mature she has become.  She is turning into a responsible, strong young woman who is a good friend, a loving sister and a fun daughter.  She is suddenly growing up right before our eyes!  The braces are going to be so worth it when Ari has a smile as beautiful as her spirit. If I'm being honest, I wish Ari were still the impossibly adorable toddler who cut her own hair into a pixie do, but I'm in love, too, with the tween Ari and I can't wait to see where the next few years take her and her gorgeous smile.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

How did we not talk about this today? Same hardware Matthew suffered through. The one thing that got me through was remembering that the same hardware would have saved Sharla a very painful, expensive surgery on her jaw when we were 16. Good luck!

SSWS said...

oh Ari! How can you be old enough for braces?
They look wonderful - and you are such a beautiful girl, and so mature. What a trooper to have gone to a ballet with a sore mouth. Ellison is going to be so jealous! She can't wait for braces!!

laurel said...

You are so nice....gets braces, you buy her ice cream. I remember the day I got braces. I was in total pain. My mom got pizza. My favorite, but it hurt to bad to take a bite.

She is so pretty!

Okay, I excercise while Maylin is at preschool and then on Tuesday nights when all the other kids are at mutual, Jay and I go and she goes to the day care at the gym. I need to be as good about reading the scriptures personally as I am about exercise.

Jennie said...

Ari, we loved having you with us for the ballet last night. I'm so glad you are now one of the "big girls". I hope your teeth are feeling better! I'm sure that is not very fun. No worries though. It will be worth it!