Saturday, February 26, 2011

Evolution

Driving home from ballet this morning, there was salsa and meringue music on NPR.  It hurts my heart a little to hear it, but makes me smile at the same time, because it's the soundtrack of a time in my life that is gone.  It was a time when I was young, intrepid, slightly reckless and passionate about life.  I was on my own and the future was mine to script.  Now, that time and place are gone, those friends are gone and there is no going back. 

From the comfort of my car this morning, waiting in the alley for Araceli, surrounded by the trimmings of my life - ballet shoes, books, homework, sheet music, sippy cups - I know I wouldn't go back if I had the choice.  Here I am on a snowy Saturday, enveloped in beauty, doing exactly what I love.  I never imagined myself as this old back when I was 20, listening to the Gipsy Kings and longing to live in Spain.  I thought I would be young and free forever.  By the grace of God, that didn't happen, and I stumbled into the perfect life, in spite of myself.  My soundtrack now is decidedly less glamorous:  Suzuki violin/guitar/piano/cello, you name a volume.  Taka Taka Stop Stop gets stuck in my head for days on end.  I swear I can hear Ruby's guitar CD in the car, even when it's not on.  But this is who I am at the very core; a mom, wife, teacher, friend, and if there is very little room for salsa in the mix, well, that's the beauty of evolution.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I think you've evolved very nicely. Even though I'm sure you were great before (I never really knew you - except for in name only and as Scott's ex-girlfriend - good times, good times)... but I love who you are now. We are so lucky that you're part of all of our lives. After all, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have any idea what Twinkles and Taka Taka Stop Stop even were. :) See, look at all the good you are doing, educating the artistically challenged like myself. :)

Nate said...

Beautiful description of an evolution to the perfect life:) Sometimes life brings us so much more joy than we could ever imagine with twists and turns that aren't even on the radar screen when we are young.

laurel said...

Tonight as Jay and I sat on the floor of his new office....we had been painting it ALL day and now we were assembling a table, I looked at him and thought, "Even if this isn't the funniest Saturday night, I wouldn't change it.

It is awesome how we grow up.

Michelle said...

I guess that is why it is a good thing we don't always get to make the plan. Beautiful post!

Kristi said...

Moving from good things to other good things... you have already had a life full of adventure and accomlishment. Great perspective!

love.boxes said...

But, you were never more extraordinary than now! It's a beautiful thing :)