Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stream of Consciousness Vs. Homework

Homework.  I know all the rules.  Have a snack first , designate a certain place and time to do it, make sure there are no interruptions. Yeah, right.  Here's homework time with Freestone:

"Free, come here and bring me your folder."
.
"But I can't!  I can't reach it!  (It is inches from his face.)

"Seriously, bring it and let's get started.  When you're finished with your worksheet, I'll check it."

"But how am I going to get to you?  The wood floor is lava!  I can't walk on it!  I'll have to go to Iceland to cool off my feet!  I know what to do!  I'll travel by blanket!"

He then spends the next ten minutes traversing the wood floor by laboriously dragging a blanket under his feet. Nobody else can concentrate on their homework because of all the grunting.  It's Freestone's way or no way, because there are only certain methods of getting across lava fields, and moms don't know them.  When moms interrupt, you have to start over.  And then there's practicing.

"Free, now is a good time for me to practice with you.  Go get your violin."

"Mom.  What if a fly was in flying lessons to learn how not to be scared of flying and all his teacher did was yell at him the whole time?"

Is there a message in there somewhere for me?  So I say in my nicest voice, "I'm so excited to hear you play!  Let's get started!"

"Mom.  If I had a meeel-yun dollars, I would buy a private jet with a big pot of honey in it.  And a big pot of Nutella."

(If I had a million dollars, I would hire someone to do homework and practicing with Freestone.)

Freestone's ultimate dream is to fly to outer space.  I don't think that's necessary.  He's already there.

11 comments:

The homestead said...

We have hot lava floors too. My kids have discovered you can walk on furniture to the desired location.

Jennie said...

I hear ya. Homework yesterday just about put me over the edge. We are only 1 week in and I'm already sick of homework. :)

Michelle said...

Love it!

C and MC said...

LOVE IT. That is a sign of a true creative soul. Ken Robinson would be in love with him.

sws said...

He is so creative he is! It will be fun to watch where this takes him - if he gets your writing skills...watch out world!

Anonymous said...

Freestone is really creative but it does sound like homework could be a really frustrating process! Wish you well!!

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

Awesome. I don't think I could keep a straight face around him, and yet I get that at some point you might also feel compelled to run away screaming.

I hope you find that million dollars. I really do.

Annissa said...

I am right there with ya, and we are only in our second day of school!!!!

Jennifer said...

Wouldn't it be great if homework could channel that great imagination? Sometimes I think conformwork, er, I mean homework, is just a way of saying "Look! We know how to use the copy machine!"

I'd help my kids with their homework, but I'm still busy doing mine -- filling out all those forms.

Maria said...

What a great kid! I am sure totally inconvient for you but I love hearing about his creativity! LOVE IT!