Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chocolate Factory



If anyone asks what it's like to have seven kids, please refer them to this video.  You've all seen it;  the episode of I Love Lucy where they're working at the chocolate factory.   Yes, I am metaphorically AND literally shoving chocolates into my mouth, hat and bra to keep up.  And I'm laughing just as hard at myself as I am at Lucy and Ethel.  I'm not the only one using chocolate as medication, either.  I found Ptolemy pounding back chocolate chips in the pantry, knowing that he was way down on my list of kids to monitor during those crazy minutes before the kids leave for school.  He takes full advantage of my inattention to basically do whatever he wants to.  I fear for the future with this kid.  He knows how to work the system and he already uses chocolate to solve problems.

At the store, I got one of those giant carts with the fire truck on the front.  We were quite a spectacle, with Tziporah screaming her "newborn goat" scream in the cart and Ptolemy waving his arms out the sunroof of the fire truck like he was standing at the prow of the Titanic, wind in his hair.  We got to the bulk food bins, where I usually don't go, and Ptolemy shouted, "Whoa!  What's THIS!?!?"  Rows and rows of candy!!  I just had to get a single gumdrop for Ruby's science assignment, but in the time it took me to bag and label it, Ptolemy had leaped out of the firetruck and crammed his mouth full of chocolate from the the nearest available bin.  He enthusiastically exclaimed through the chocolate, "This is yummy, Mom!"  I was tempted to say loudly, "Let's go pay for that chocolate you just ate!!," and then beeline it to the nearest exit.  I wasn't sure how to weigh the offending chocolate, so I just rushed the firetruck to the checkout, hoping Ptolemy wasn't caught on video pillaging the bulk food bins.

When we got home, I swear I pulled a muscle in my finger trying to open a pudding with one hand while I nursed the baby.  Now everyone is fed and I have a few minutes to sit down and figure out what to do with all the metaphorical chocolate stashed in my hat and - oh my gosh, I'm supposed to be at the shop in five minutes!   Guess I'll shove some chocolates in my mouth and go!  Aaaggh!  Where are the M&M's??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so descriptive, I can just imagine you all in the store...and just watched Lucy..I have seen that rerun, and your picture of self looks as frantic as she does in her chocolate factory. Thank goodness for chocolate though to keep you going!.nothing like a chocolate fix, apparently Tolly thinks it is great too!..Love ya, Tricia XO Keep that chocolate handy!..

Jennie said...

I would recognize the chocolate in your picture anywhere. :) Cadbury Egg Anyone? :) Love it!

Julia said...

So do you nurse your sweet baby chocolate milk?

Anonymous said...

As usual, a precious blog!...loved Ruby's cell cake!...and your writings are always so expressive and enjoyable. So glad for your blogs so we can feel as we are there enjoying the new little one and the joy she has brought to you and your whole family. You can see from all these pictures what joy Tz has brought into everyone's lives..the walking pictures are precious and remind me of when you, Traj, Josh and Sarah were little..not sure why, but just brought back memories! We are blessed. Keep the blogs going, your humor and insightfulness into life. Love Golda's beautiful picture..such a young lady. It all passes so quickly, enjoy!. XO Tricia

Kristi said...

Awesome. I have strong feelings about chocolate, so this post really resonates with me. You should have seen me swerve and make a 3 lane change when I saw a girl scout cookie sale on the corner. It was a pretty reckless maneuver, all in the name of Thin Mints. :S

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Holy cow that picture of you is hilarious!! Love it!!!

love.boxes said...

Wow Circ... I don't know how you do it, but I'm so glad you save a little time every week to spend with me. I'm surely grateful. If I can carpool anyone anywhere.. you have my #. :)