Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Responsible Runaways

We had a little runaway recently.  Uncle Josh found a bike loaded down with bags, parked at the top of his driveway.  It was suspicious, so he opened a backpack and found Freestone's scriptures.  Upon further investigation, he found Araceli getting a water bottle at Coco and Bill's.  It was her last stop before she hit the open road.  She was running away.

Coco and Bill brought her inside and gave her hugs while Josh called us to let us know Ari was safe.  As proof that we're far from perfect, we didn't even know Ari was missing.  Scott and I were watching America's Funniest Home Videos by ourselves after the kids went to bed.  How pathetic is that?  It was probably due to our loud cackling and snorting that we didn't hear the garage door go up.  Ari sent word through Josh that she had left a note for the family.  It was a cheerful little note, telling us not to worry, that she was running away to the ballet studio and she would be fine.  Indeed, I found her leotard, tights and ballet shoes in her backpack when I unpacked it the next day.  Always prepared, this girl. 

All the drama of Ari's abortive takeoff reminded Golda of the time she ran away. Golda had only made it to the mailbox when she got hungry, started to cry, and ate all the chocolate chips she had packed to sustain her on her long journey.  Golda's good-bye note was so classic, I saved it.  She was running away because nobody loved her and all that, but the last line of the note said, "I'll find a way to get to flut."

I love it!  Here's little Golda, thinking we'll be OK with never seeing her again, as long as she doesn't miss her flute lesson.  And Ari.  Her plan was to camp out on the porch at Studio B.  Good thing she packed her ballet clothes, because when you're homeless, you might as well go to class.  I mean, you're living right there in the alley.  I am a little miffed Ari didn't pack her cello, since the ballet studio is centrally located within biking distance of both cello teachers' studios.  Granted, it would have been hard to carry a cello on a bike...at night...in the dark.

Kids, just so you know:  If you run away and I hear through the grapevine years later that you missed ballet or flute or violin or piano...you're dead meat.


7 comments:

Michelle said...

So funny! Running away was my go-to solution when I was little too. I had this little suitcase my grandma gave me. When my mom would make me mad I would get out of bed and pack it. Then it would go back under my bed with my plans formed for morning. I never actually made it out of the house though. Thanks for the chuckle and the memory!

laurel said...

That is so funny. But sad too. It reminded me of when I ran away and how sad I felt. I bet she felt that same way. Poor little thing.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

oh my goodness. That is to funny! Being a kid is so hard sometimes!

Catherine said...

Ah, running away. I always threatened but knew a good thing when I had it and never actually did it.

Glad you have responsible kiddos though who won't miss ballet...or flut lessons! :o)

Jennie said...

So funny. I think all of us probably tried that at one time or another. I hope she is feeling okay. You guys have had a lot going on lately. A new baby can make everyone get a new routine. I think the perfect medicine will be a trip to the beach next week. :) :)

Kristi said...

I am laughing and remembering a few of my own run-away schemes.

BTW, Yes! I am planning to come by this afternoon. I have your number and I'll call you after 2 to nail down a time. I won't stay long. :)

love.boxes said...

Oh dear.. I laughed my head off! Those kids know they better not miss their lessons. It's fun to run away... next time Ari wants to run away .. tell her to call me. My plan is to live at Yogo Togo on the organge couches.. It's a lot less work than Ari's plan :)