Monday, March 26, 2012

They Got Me!

The KUER pledge drive got me again.  It starts out the same every time.  When the pledge drive starts, I grumble and groan.  I tell myself I'm NOT going to call this time.  I pledged last time, and that's good enough.  I think about turning off the radio until the fund drive is over, but I can't.  I'm addicted.  I depend on public radio to make me feel connected and alive.  I know this, and that's what opens the door for the glimmer of guilt.  I listen right through the fund raising segments, feeling increasingly unsettled.  I know I could save myself a few bucks by turning off the radio so I'm not tempted to call, but I just love listening.  I can't stop, no matter how banal the banter gets, or how ridiculous the incentive gifts.

"For a pledge of just $200.00, we'll send you an NPR mug!"  Yeah, a mug that says something so dorky, you won't want to be seen with it in public.  "For a pledge of just one dollar a day, we'll plant a tree in your honor!"  Or I could buy ten trees for the same $365.00 and plant them myself.  In honor of NPR, of course.  We would name the trees Lakshmi Singh, Renee Montaigne, Robert Seagull.  Maybe even a Doug Fabrizio.

I listened all through the week until Saturday.  It was Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me that finally broke me.  I was in high spirits, having already caught the end of Car Talk, so I was an easy target for the fundraisers.  My moment of clarity came sitting in my car during Golda's flute lesson.  I'm not making this up.  I was laughing out loud at Peter Sagal, and I threw my hands up in the air and shouted, "I love this!  This is so FUNNY!"  I looked around to see if anyone noticed the rabid NPR fan who hadn't made a pledge, having a "driveway moment."  Nobody saw me, but I still knew what I had to do.  If the people who shout about how much they love the programming don't call, who will?  I picked up my phone and called 581-5837, just like my radio friends had been begging me to do all week.  Darn them, they got me!  And they did it by being so excellent, I had to admit how much I loved them.  Thank you, NPR and KUER.

3 comments:

sws said...

Now I'm feeling guilty - haven't been listening as much because of the guilt. I better call....I love all those programs - now you got me~!

Nate said...

Good for you! I love NPR but I'm very afraid to pledge because I think they will put my name in some data base that never forgets and continues to solicit donations forever!

laurel said...

I love that. Jay is a huge NPR fan too. I can listen occationally, but mostly it gets me anxious so I don't. I am evil right now. I haven't even been answering BYU's calls for donation....

Way to go charitable and talking to your self one!