Monday, March 19, 2012

Felshaw

I was talking with a friend at church about some church doctrine, looking up a word.  My dad happened by and I asked him about the definition of the word ontological.  Of course, he knew it, and said he had some stuff printed off at home about this very subject.  That's just like my dad.  After church at his house, he handed me eight pages of information he had printed off, studied and highlighted...just for fun.  Most of it was the result of a google search, "Does God exist?"  The last page was a color picture of a galaxy.

How many people of faith do you know who wonder, ask, seek and learn to that extent?  My dad knows God exists.  His life is proof of that.  He just thinks it's fascinating to ponder life's biggest questions, to see what other people have said, what philosophers have written, what the scriptures teach.  Along with the information Dad gave me, he offered a quote off the top of his head from St. Anselm, one of his favorite philosophers:  "I do not seek to understand so that I can believe, but I believe so that I may understand; and what is more, I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.”

What a thrilling concept!  I'm grateful for a father who both believes and understands.  Thanks, Dad.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Never done being taught by our parents are we? What a great dad!

Anonymous said...

This is so like your dad, my brother, he always knows about all kinds of subjects and is able to offer answers to us. He never quits learning, he has always been a guide and inspiration and still is. It seems there never is a subject that he does not know something about...This is just one example..proud of him and to call him my brother..XO Tricia

The homestead said...

Love that last quote!

love.boxes said...

Now that is a GREAT QUOTE! Thank heavens for good fathers.