Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fifteen Minutes



Making pillows for "class store" in between working on the "name art."
Araceli has more independence in her pinky finger than your average ten-year-old has in her whole body.  It scares me, but it's also exciting to watch.  Yesterday, Ari decided she wanted to walk from her cello lesson to Studio C where Golda and Xanthe would be picked up from ballet.  Her plan would save me an extra trip downtown and it was only a few blocks.  I hesitantly agreed, but it turned out that I was extremely nervous as the time neared.  I looked out the window at precisely the time Ari would be traipsing along a busy street with her cello on her back, and it had started to snow.  Blizzard-y, wet snow.  I vowed never to let Ari talk me into one of her plans again, but I know that's not realistic, and when Scott brought the girls home, Ari didn't mention the snowstorm.  She was just fine.

She's better than fine these days, actually.  With a silvery smile, she proclaimed last night, "Fourth grade just got awesome!"  It's because of the name signs, she explained.  Ari wrote a friend's name on a paper and decorated it in an artistic way.  Then another friend wanted her name done, and another, until Ari finally created a sign-up sheet for anyone who wanted their name done in art.  Almost everyone signed up!  Of all the projects Ari's colorful mind has come up with, I have never seen one make her so happy.  Her enthusiasm as she worked on each child's name was almost palpable. 

When I was in fifth grade, there was a golden time period when French braids were all the rage, and I knew how to do them!  I was very popular every recess, french braiding everyone's hair.  It was amazing to be so needed and to have a skill so coveted.  I stretched my skill set as far as I could, first braiding, then teaching everyone else how to braid.  I guess I inadvertently tanked my own business that way, but it was worth the warmth of the spotlight.  Eventually, french braids went the way of the dodo anyway, and girls who could boondoggle took over for their fifteen minutes of fame. 

Ari's fifteen fourth grade minutes start now, with her clever little idea.  I hope the other kids like what she creates for them.  I'm crossing my fingers that we don't have a snickerdoodle moment when the kids get their name art.  Even if fourth grade happens to temporarily lose some of its awesomeness, Araceli will come out on top.  She always does.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Way to go Ari! Would love to see some of the beautiful name art you create!

Michelle said...

Love that girl! I think I learned to french braid from you. So maybe ari's art will forge more life-long friendships!

sws said...

Can I sign up? I'd love my name in Ari-art!

laurel said...

What a strong girl. She sure is darling. I wish my teenager would be as independant. We can learn a lot fro Ari.