Saturday, May 19, 2012

50 Years


 I'm not sure if he's chiding his younger self or laughing at him.

My dad is celebrating 50 years of practicing law.  It's a milestone most don't have the opportunity or fortitude to reach.  I'm proud of my dad not only for the work he does, but for his approach to it.  I have always thought my dad looked like the epitome of professionalism in his three-piece suits and ties.  I am proud of him.  He loves his profession.  I don't remember a single time that Dad complained about his job, ever.  I don't remember him ever wanting to retire, either.  Sometimes when he stays home sick, he paces around, clapping his hands and saying, "Well......"  Scott came home late from the office one Friday night when my dad was at our house.  My dad said to Scott, "It looks like you're invoking the Jackson Howard rule."  Which is to say, anyone who would rather be anywhere but the office at 5:00 Friday night shouldn't be a lawyer.  I'm sure my dad is the only person I know who falls under the Jackson Howard rule.

Felshaw wouldn't know what to do without The Law.

He is fond of saying, "The Law is a jealous mistress," implying that the job takes everything you have.  Sorry, Dad, but that's just not true of you.  As demanding as Dad's job is, and as dedicated as he is, he has built his practice so that he always has the luxury of putting his family first. My brother Trajan mentioned that Dad always puts down what he's doing if one of us comes into his office.  That was true for me just recently.  I went to say hi and walked out of there with a $100.00 contribution for the band, in Golda's name. I called my brother Josh just as he was writing a tribute to Dad today, and he was so choked up he had to call me back.  It's Dad's devotion to the things that are important to him - especially family, the legal profession and the gospel - that we admire.

Ari came home from visiting Bill at the office, carrying a hefty tome entitled, "Utah Criminal and Traffic Code."  She enthusiastically told me, "Bill said I could read this WHOLE THING!"  Only Felshaw could make the Utah Criminal and Traffic Code sound exciting.  I don't know how he does it.  Notice the pink post-it notes in the code.  Dad actually reads this stuff!

When I was midway through violin making school and already had my bachelor's in violin performance, Dad called me one day and informed me that I was taking the LSAT that Saturday.  I truly had no plans to go to law school, but that didn't stop Dad from carrying on as if I were.  You can't say he didn't try!  I took the test and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Although I continued on my path, I knew from then on that I could go to law school if I wanted to.  For some reason, it was a good feeling.  I guess it was the knowledge that I could be like my dad...if I chose.

I do want to be like my dad, still.  I do it without a law degree, but I follow his example, or at least I try.  I feel like I'm off the hook a little on the law side of things, since I married someone who is a lawyer!  A small part of me will always be sad that I don't share the legal profession with my dad.  I admire what it means to him.  The best I can do is to love my life as much as Dad loves his, and thereby honor his example.  And what an example it is.  Fifty years and counting.  Congratulations, Dad!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

You dad is amazing. 50 years is quite the accomplishment! I hope you guys have a wonderful time celebrating. So fun!

Kristi said...

Kudos and congrats to your Dad! 50 years practicing law is an amazing accomplishment. I don't think Jason has 50 in him. ;) You are clearly the product of driven, goal oriented parents.

Nate said...

And you would make a great laywer.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad and my brother!..You captured so many qualities of Felshaw in just the right words, congratulations on a wonderful blog and pictures of him. I am so proud of him, have spent the morning remembering soooooo many things about his life as a brother, son, grandson, husband, father, marathon runner, dedication to his running just like everything in his life, his all...to his country, to his community, to his Church, and at all times, always putting Mary and you children first..would drop anything to give you the time you needed. His loyalty, his integrity, his knowledge of so many subjects, not just law, his remarkable memory, his intelligence, and always looking his best...there are so many things....it shows in his dedication to practicing fifty years...only a person who loved what he did would accomplish this...proud of him, thank you for this blog..for the great pictures, for your tribute, now I have to go wipe my eyes...(You know me!..) XO Love Tricia, Congratulations to my brother, Felshaw, for fifty years!...

Jennifer said...

That cracks me up about the LSAT!