Monday, May 21, 2012

Scott's Tribute to Felshaw


 May 20, 2012

Dear Felshaw:

My first recollection of you when I was younger was you jogging around the City of Kaysville.  I didn’t know you personally but I could recognize you from a distance because of your jogging style/gait.  Later as I became better acquainted with you, through Circe, you became much more than a jogger.  You became an intimidating voice from above informing me that it was much too late to be visiting his daughter in the basement.  Six years later you became an even more intimidating figure as I sat in front of you asking for your daughter’s hand in marriage as you wore nothing but a robe (and I mean nothing but a robe!).  As if that situation was not intimidating enough. 

I remember you discussing the merits of law school and instilling in me your thoughts regarding the noble profession of lawyers.  I was a little hesitant to change my career path but through your encouragement I decided to attend law school.  Because of your love of the law I remember approaching law school and my future career with excitement.  Law school was difficult but fun at the same time.  After graduating from law school you began to train me on how to practice law.  I believe that this phase of my life was the most important part of me becoming who I am today as a professional.  Through my darkest time studying for the bar exam you never said a bad word to me and always diverted my negative thoughts with positive messages.  You were supportive through it all and seemed genuinely excited to have me practice with you at King & King. 

Never a day goes by that I don't marvel at how nice the office is.  I love coming in and working in such an amazing environment.  Your love of the office is evident in the pride you took in each aspect of how the office was built and furnished.  I love how my kids always want to visit the office and how they are always welcome, as your kids were when they were younger.

You taught me to love the law and to treat clients with respect and dignity.  I love how you stand up for this profession with candor and zeal.  Whenever I tell other attorneys that I practice with you they always have nice things to say and a story or two about you from the past.  Whenever anyone asks if you are still going strong I respond by saying, "Yes, he loves what he does and I don't see him slowing down."  After fifty years, what an amazing thing to be able to say.  Congratulations on fifty years!

                                                                                                                                    Love,

Scott

No comments: