Thursday, May 17, 2012

Story. Problems.

There was discussion recently at book club about raising kids and how to do it. I was hoping somebody had the answers to that but -alas!- if there is a mathematical equation for raising perfect kids, we were all equally unaware of what it was. In fact, if there was an equation, I wouldn't get it, so I'm glad that's not how it works. Yesterday, Xanthe asked me what 7 plus 3 is. My answer was, "Uh...eleven. Or ten. Ten or eleven, I don't know. Just pick one!" Failure to teach my kids math...CHECK.

Here's something funny my friend Tiffany posted on Facebook.  It clears up a lot.


Yep, that's literally what story problems feel like to me.  The story part is always so incomplete and nonsensical.  The problem part, I get that. I always have a problem when there's math to do.  The problem is that my eyes glaze over when I see numbers.  I've been doomed in math since about the fourth grade.  My shining moment math-wise was during times table speed rounds in third grade.  Mrs. Manning's class vs. Mrs. Dunford's class, and I was up against the reigning champion, Craig.  Craig and I were battling it out on the flash cards when "0 x 8" came up.  Craig was momentarily stunned for some reason and I shouted, "Zero!"  I beat Craig!  Mrs. Manning's class won!

And it's been downhill ever since.  But it's OK because I'm good at other things.  How many other things, I couldn't tell you because, you know, I'm bad at numbers.  But it's a lot.



5 comments:

The homestead said...

I'm just glad I married a man that loves math. His favorite birthday gift? Taking the AP calculus test on his birthday.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I'm one of those people who loved math. I would ask my teachers if they could send me with math packets for long flights to Europe and back, starting in the 5th grade! The weird thing about it all is that I don't remember a thing. Not one thing about math. I'm relying on Shane to help our children with math homework, and I'll handle the right-brained activities.

Jennie said...

I can totally relate. It was down hill for me after fractions in 1/4th, I mean 4th grade. :)

Christina said...

I finished the math book in 6th grade in the first two months of school. I also took Trig my senior year of high school, but sadly I was never good at story problems. Now, all math that my kids bring home look like that story problem to me.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

LOL- that's exactly how I am with math- and music! Thank goodness we all have different talents!