Monday, May 21, 2012

The Dinner

And the crowning event of Felshaw's 50-year celebration:  Dinner at the Joseph Smith Building.  We left out three littlest kids with Bruce and Marlene and took what we dubbed the FF's (first four) to dowtown Salt Lake.  On the way in, it was just a beautiful spring night as we stopped to admire the temple grounds.

The view from the Roof restaurant was just gorgeous from every direction.  We could see the state capitol and Nana commented that she met her "sweet husband, Jim" there.  From the next window, we could see the Salt Lake temple where most of us had gotten married.  (Or sealed, if you eloped to Switzerland like SOME people and got married in a castle!) At the buffet, I cautioned the little kids to only eat the "expensive stuff" and to avoid any form of mac 'n' cheese.  Nana set the standard when she got dessert first.  Right on!

We were entertained by law stories from Bill (Felshaw) and Rod, Emily's father and the president of the Utah State Bar.  He had a tale about a client's prison break and Bill told of his most memorable case.  I won't butcher the details here, but it was one of many memorable moments over the course of the "first" fifty years of his law career.  I asked Dad if tomorrow would be anticlimactic going to the office.  I really think his enthusiasm was genuine when he said no, it would still be just as thrilling.

We spent enough time going back for more dessert that we got to admire the view of the city at night as well as during the evening.  It was fun being with just the older kids.  "Heaven," Golda called it.  Golda, it's only heaven if we're all there.  Huh?  Huh?  Right? :)

It's been a fun couple of days, taking time out of our routine to really celebrate a milestone.  We sent an announcement out to a bunch of Dad's friends asking them to write a little note of appreciation, congratulations or friendship.  We got back over a hundred letters.  He began opening them a few at a time yesterday.  I've been surprised at the specific and genuine things people have said.  As a result of reading all these heartfelt sentiments, I have determined to write letters to people who have had an impact on me.  It takes an occasion like this to act as a catalyst for expressing thanks.  But sometimes there is no occasion and then it's too late.  I'm sure I have people to thank and acknowledge, who have had an impact on my life as my dad has had on so many others'.  So tomorrow I pull out the stationery.  Tonight, I digest the prime rib!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful evening!...and sounds like the perfect ending to two days of tributes and reminiscing with friends and family. You did it up great!...To all of you who planned it and your wonderful tributes on the blog, congratulations. Wish I could have been there. XO Tricia And again, Felshaw, congratulations from a proud sister.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Wow, what great times. I wish I knew your dad better!

laurel said...

Awesome! I love the roof. I love dinners with family. You all look so pretty too.

Jennie said...

What a fun and memorable night. I'm jealous of the dessert bar. :) Oh, and all the pics are beautiful. I especially loved the on of the girls. They are so photogenic!

Kristi said...

What a fun week of celebrating. I just love dinner at the Roof. Good choice. :)

Queen Elizabeth said...

All of these posts honoring your dad are so touching. Clearly, a large figure in your life - as he should be. Doesn't it make you so grateful when so many don't have the chance? Me too. ;)

love.boxes said...

I love what you said Circ. My uncle had a special birthday party for my aunt when she turned 60 and he did something similar having her children and friends all say something wonderful and important about her. My own Dad thought it was so neat and said it was lovely that she did have to wait until her funeral to find out how much her friends and family loved her. I'm sur this week will be very meaningful for your Dad always.