Sunday, May 20, 2012

Old Friends

I wish these pictures weren't all mixed up, but blogger was being crazy. We were honored to host my dad's old buddies for a little get-together. As we all contemplated what to do for the 50th anniversary of practicing law, I thought an open house or similar event would be a great way for everyone in the community and our circle of friends to gather and recognize Dad. So I asked him about a guest list and he came up with, oh, maybe seven names. We debate every possible scenario and finally decided to just invite Dad's best friends over and see what happened. What happened was great. 
Jim was one of the first to arrive in his Model A.  What style!
 
 Henry Heath brought a photo of his wedding, with Dad standing right next to him as his best man.  While Dad was studying for the Bar, Henry lived with Felshaw's family and was engaged to his sweetheart.  He and Joy got married two weeks after Dad passed the Bar.  What an exciting time!

Craig Rushforth
Henry remembers a lot of things about my dad that I never knew!


When Felshaw was a ninth grader, he was the water boy for the football team.  His goal in life was to be as tall as Malcolm.  Three years later, he had lettered in every sport and, well, you can see that he reached his ultimate goal.
Joy and Ruby watching the solar eclipse.  It was cool how we could see a crescent-shaped shadow through the pinhole on the paper.
When Malcolm walked in, there was a bit of a hush.  We couldn't believe he came!  He and Jan moved to their ranch in Wyoming several years ago, and sightings of the this opinionated, eccentric character have been few and far between.  His health is precarious, but he's as full of p*#^ and vinegar as ever.  The first thing he did was to apologize for all the jerky things he supposedly did way back when.  Everyone argued against his apology, saying that if he was ever a jerk, they hadn't noticed.  Malcolm is...that's a hard sentence to finish, but no matter the adjective you choose, you say it with love.  Everyone was so happy he was there to stir the pot, even if his colorful language had the kids running for the hills at times!  He and Felshaw go way back, back to before either of them was born and their fathers were friends.  Which reminds me of what Henry said about Malcolm, that "he's more like his dad than his dad was."  We all turn into our parents on some level!
Felshaw, Martha and Craig Rushforth, Joy and Henry Heath listening to Malcolm.

Truthfully, I was worried with such a small guest list that even if everyone came, it would be awkward.  I needn't have worried a bit.  From the moment Jim's Model A motored up, the party took on a life of its own.  There were stories enough to tell to keep everyone laughing and catching up for the duration of the solar eclipse and into the twilight.  Around here, a lot of people have lived here since their pioneer ancestors staked out the land.  They have big families who fulfill all their social needs and take up all their time.  It makes friendships more rare, I think.  Yet here are guys who remember high school basketball games they played in together.  My dad said to Golda and Ruby at the end, "Be good to your friends.  You'll make new friends throughout your life, but the old ones are kinda special."  It was the tear in his eye that revealed just how special.
Henry getting in the rare edgewise word with Malcolm.
Boyd and Gayle Whitesides were late to the party but still had a chance to reminisce.  Boyd remembered going to the old farm to buy hay from Bill King.  He would drive down the winding dirt road that is now Crestwood and along a little lane that is now the street where he lives.  I could almost see the old farm as it used to be, the way he described it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun tribute party, I can just hear all of them talking!..Your dad is so right, we will have many friends in our lifetime, but as we know, our lifelong friends are to be held in close esteem and in our memories forever. Very good pictures, I felt like I was there from your description!...I can hear Malcomb!...he is a good "Joe" as all the others are and faithful friends...as we grow older it is heartwarming to have our lifelong friends close, I know I treasure my girlfriends' luncheons with some of them, going back to before grade school, as your dads also. I am very glad you have this blog!..to share when being away from events like this. Congratulations to your dad!..a golden moment!..achieved and with pride, dignity and his all, and in the doing of accomplishing this never putting his family aside, they were always first, and I know that. I am proud to say I was able to work with him and our dad in the office as a secretary..Jim said how much he enjoyed being a part of it..I was there in heart and spirit and you made me feel with this blog I was there!..Congratulations Felshaw!...your proud sister, Patricia xoxox..Thanks, Circe and all, Aunt Triciaxox

Michelle said...

Wow! What a night! Your dad is so right, the old ones are very special. What a great job you did of creating another night of great memories!

Jennifer said...

Is Malcolm's last name Harvey? I am eerily wondering if he was my calculus teacher (who, oddly enough never intimidated me as much as Sister Heath does!).

What a fun party for your father. Was he as well-behaved as at the cello recital? hee hee