Saturday, May 26, 2012

Moms 'n' Muffins


 It's uncanny how Xanthe can keep track of the days when something exciting is coming up.  "Moms and Muffins" was one of the days that was marked in bold on Xanthe's mental calendar.  (Scott kept telling her the teacher was changing it to "Brothers and Broccoli," and Xanth was NOT excited about taking Freestone to class with her and snacking on broccoli.)  I have hardly been at the school to volunteer at all this year, so it was extra fun to be in her environment.  Xanthe has some really excellent teachers who really keep everyone on the ball.  Xanthe has gone through a lot this year.  It all started with reading and the fact that her progress was so slow.  I knew she was struggling in French, but I have been reticent about pulling her out of the program because it just felt like quitting too soon.  I wanted to have her repeat first grade, but after all of the district testing, it was decided that repeating the grade would not be beneficial.  Basically, Xanthe isn't doing poorly enough.  I still think another year of first grade would do wonders for X, but I am a little bit relieved to be moving ahead. We can do it.  When I went with Xanthe to her French class, however, it was apparent that she was completely lost.  Her face turned red, she got hot and started scratching her arms.  I could understand most of what Mme Dean said, so I coaxed Xanthe about what was happening, but she and Mme Dean were on two different planets.


First grade is hard anyway, and poor little Xanthe has been going to school without a complaint each day, only to suffer through hours of confusion.  Nevertheless, through her determination and many hours of help from teachers and aides, Xanthe is starting to piece it all together.  We have been lucky enough to find an affordable French tutor this summer, so that along with lots of reading and math, will give us a jump on second grade.  Scott and I have considered every aspect of the immersion question.  It is such a personal decision, and an emotional one.  There are many factors to weigh, but the bottom line is that we know Xanthe can do it.  After only hearing Chinese for the first year of her life, she has essentially already learned English as a second language.  In this particular situation, we don't want to change course.  Either way, of course, we could be dead wrong.  Only time will tell.  (Free told us he didn't understand anything in first grade either!)


So she'll work harder.  Is that a problem?  Besides, when they sing the pizza song in French, it's adorable!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love the pizza song! I haven't heard it since last year at James' moms and muffins event, yet I'm already breaking out in song ... :)

I hope I've shared this with you before: I saw the Primary song leader ask the children if they remembered something very specific she had mentioned the week before. Xanthe did. She paid attention one week and remembered the shared experience a week later. That's better than a math drill, I think.

I am sorry school has been so difficult. It doesn't seem fair that to some, things come so easy. Yet I think the child who works hard is better off in the long run. Xanthe is developing persistence and dedication. Plus she surely must know her mother is her champion.