Friday, May 25, 2012

Falcon Finale


Golda in her role as principal flute, wearing her Rhapsody dress and SBO jacket.

Golda standing to be recognized for academic achievement.  You have to be on the honor roll, get high test scores and have at least one teacher recommendation to get this recognition.  Almost every member of the band was standing by the time all the names were read!

Rhapsody in Blue singing Keane's Somewhere Only We Know


This is the 4.0 picture wall.  Way to go, Ruby!!


We have been looking forward to the Falcon Finale where Fairfield students are recognized for academic achievement.  Each department gives an award to their outstanding student.  Golda wasn't eligible for a Falcon award because she won the Peer Tutor department award last year.  The teacher thought she was in 9th grade.  Oops! :)

Nevertheless, we had the chance to see Golda perform with the symphonic band one last time, sing with Rhapsody one last time, carry out her SBO duties and stand to be recognized for academic excellence.  Sometimes people around me let me know they think our kids are "too busy."  One neighbor even asked me if I thought my daughter didn't have any friends because she's too busy.  Wow.  So the Falcon Finale made me feel vindicated.  Almost every single kid who stood up to receive an award, stood up out of the band, orchestra or choir or came to the stage in a cheerleading uniform or officer jacket.  One boy wasn't there to claim his academic award because he was winning State on the high school soccer team at that moment.  One was absent because he was still in Orlando after winning a national science competition.

So Golda, wearing her various "hats" was a pretty run-of-the-mill honor student in regards to how involved she is.  I was proud of her for being good enough to even be at the Falcon Finale.  Now that I see who she associates with at school, it's no wonder that she races home from a band concert to finish her online high school homework.  It's what all the other kids are doing too!  The girl that won the all-around "First Falcon" award is an SBO with Golda and plays on two high school sports teams.  And she was one of the ten students who were recognized for getting a 4.0 every term of junior high.  We have a lot to live up to, and boy am I grateful!  It makes parenting a lot easier when your child's peers are so exceptional.  I always tell my kids to compare themselves to the people who are doing better than they are.  Usually, that's as easy as looking at the kid sitting next to you.  I love our community.  I love having so much to live up to.  I love that there are so many opportunities for kids to do what they enjoy.  I love our school.  Go Falcons!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Golda & Ruby never cease to amaze me... I don't think you could find better or more well adjusted "tweens" if you tried! Love those girls :)

Michelle said...

I still insist that I would never have had the grades I had in high school I did if I had different friends. It was sort of peer pressure to do well. Sounds like Golda has the same and that is the kind to have. Well done Golda!

Jennie said...

We are so proud of you Golda (and of you Rubes - 4.0 - Wow!). You guys always amaze us with all you're able accomplish. We can't wait to see your future unfold.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Golda and Ruby, you are setting great examples for those behind you and to your friends. Wonderful Golda, all the accomplishments in Jr. High and this year especially...way to go Ruby for 4.0, you both set the bar high and have achieved it!. Tricia Keep up the great work!. I know you will, you are focused. You have goo parents who have set good examples and who have given you encouragement to do your best, which you have!. XO Tricia