Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just Go On Ahead Without Me!

Can't we just go back to the way it was when students in the U. S. were falling behind those in every other country in the world?  I mean, can't we just let the Steve Jobses and the Bill Gateses take care of the genius stuff and bring back nap rugs in kindergarten?  Is it really necessary that we leave NO child behind?  Nobody?  For the love of corn dogs, Public Education System, could you please just leave the Dopp kids behind for awhile?  We're tired!  I promise, we'll catch up.  Just let us sit on this rock for a minute and dream about the good old days.  You know, back in the '70's when China and India were sneaking up on us with their steely work ethic and indomitable drive, but we didn't care because our "room mothers" made really good Rice Krispy Treats.  Those were the days.

If Xanthe's first grade class has good snacks at their end-of-year luau, Xanthe will never know because she is missing ONE math homework assignment, and therefore not eligible to go to the luau.  She will be working in another classroom during the luau.  It's not that she doesn't need the extra study time to keep up.  It's just that she's seven.  I realize that kindergartners in Tokyo are taking the subway alone to school at age five, saddled with their giant backpacks.  That's why my Japanese roommates in college spoke several languages and were able to practice longer hours and win more competitions.  That's why they entered college as fully developed adults, as opposed to the Americans, most of whom hadn't been informed of the dangers of swilling massive amounts of alcohol out of giant kegs. 

We're Americans.  We're supposed to be proud of our laziness.  That's why there's an obesity epidemic.  That's why we have Sponge Bob.  How do you expect my kids to become lazy and apathetic if they're always doing homework and thinking and being held accountable?  Before I had kids, I was all over the notion of raising the bar.  Now?  Let's just forget the bar, let the nice lunch ladies give us seconds on those heavenly peanut butter bars and curl up on our nap rugs for an afternoon, listening to our teacher read Superfudge.  China and India will keep the world turning during quiet time.  Then we'll get back to work.  Promise.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you!...seriously, Xanthe cannot go to the Luau? Please tell us you are kidding!!!...You are right, if for a few days we could go back to the nap days on rugs and listen to stories and enjoy peanut butter cookies or lemon bars!...all you kids seem to have turned out just great!....and learned to be a super mom and dad!...and do things for your kids, my heart breaks if Xanthe really cannot go to her Luau????? Is missing one math page going to make her a failure in life? Think not!..but the experience with friends at the Luau will make her an even better, sweeter little girl than she already is. XOXO Tricia

Nate said...

Ah yes, it seems like they ramp up higher expectations every year. Feeling sad for Xanthe.

Michelle said...

I am with you! We are tired over here too! I am begging you, go check Xanthe out and take her to yogurt or something or I will. I hate Fun Friday too, same principle and I hate it every single week. Bring on the Summer, I'm done!

Jennie said...

I hope the missing assignment turns up. It does seem a bit over the top to miss the luau for one sheet of math. Oh, and the peanut butter bars.... taco day was my favorite. Those sweet rolls were delish. Don't even get me started on the apple crisp. :)

sws said...

Really? You have to deal with this one page of math on top of everything else? It doesn't seem like things get corrected anyway....it's just a check in some box somewhere. We didn't even have homework until Jr. High! What is the deal these days? AHHHH!!!

Jennifer said...

Well, there's bound to be a pineapple or two at the luau, which will only represent SpongeBob anyway.

I'm all for motivating children, but this seems an unfair penalty. At least with the Fun Friday activity if you didn't earn it one week you knew you could try for the next.

I like Michelle's idea to check her of school. Aloha!

C and MC said...

I am growing more and more into the opinion that the Public School system and all it's anal-ness is not for me. So sad for Xanthe. :(

Michelle said...

Can I turn in Xanthe's math assignment for her so she can go to the luau? Because this is getting ridiculous. I love your blog. Sometimes I purposely don't read any posts for a while so I can have some LAZY time and read them all together. All I know is that every time someone even mentions the idea of summer my 3 year old jumps for joy because that means Ruby and Gold are going to teach her to dance. So.... summer hurry up and get here!