Sunday, May 20, 2012

Trajan's Tribute to Dad

From a young age I noticed a difference in what my dad did for work as
compared to other dads. The first thing I noticed is that other dads
talked about "going to work."  My dad never used that phrase. He always
used "going to the office." Normally this could be ignored as semantic, but
as I grew up and learned about my dad's attitude regarding the practice of
law, I realized it wasn't merely semantics. For him, "going to work" and
"going to the office" are not the same thing. As he has always been fond of
reminding me, "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your
life." For him, going to the office and practicing law is enjoyable and
not considered work to be dreaded and disdained. Law is a noble pursuit.

Secondly, I noticed that other dads would disappear to their offices; maybe
after a long commute. For my dad, the office was a place where we were not
merely tolerated, but welcomed. As a boy, he'd take us to the Clearfield
office to work in the yard, play with the copy machine and later, study in
the library. He enjoyed having us there and we enjoyed having the freedom
and feeling the security of a father who included us in that part of his
life.

I have learned a lot about work/life balance from watching my father work.
In my youth, he always made himself available to go to my baseball and
football games to watch me sit on the bench. I never heard him say he
couldn't support me because he had to work. He has always put his family
first.

The most remarkable thing about visiting the office is that every single
time I've walked into his office to talk to him, he has stopped whatever he
was doing and given his full attention to me. No matter how busy or how
stressed. He always made time. Never did he read something on his computer
or keep his nose stuck in a book while he half worked and half listened.

When I started in financial planning I quickly learned of his reputation as
an attorney. He occasionally referred his clients to me if they may have a
need of my services. Frequently, upon meeting them, they inevitably gushed
not only about what a great attorney he is, but how he's dependable and
honest.

As I have grown up and started my own career, I am trying to emulate all
the good things I have observed my father do in his career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Trajan..you have captured your dad very well in your tribute, and all these things are so true...got to go wipe my eyes now!..XO Tricia